P447-F Handle/Drag Star Assembly

Started by jkel, March 01, 2020, 05:16:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jkel

Recently purchased this reel and started to disassemble it to inspect the insides. While removing the handle/drag star assembly I noticed that the belleville washer was under the drag star.

Thought that was odd so I took a look at the schematic and shows it under the drag spacer (3-144). I also noticed that I'm missing 2 tension washers (3-14), there should be 1 before the star and 2 after the star?

Another issue is the clicker button is very hard to move and am not sure why.

oops forgot to post the last pic

Swami805

Those 2 washers you're missing are very thin so they crack and fall apart over time. The reel should work fine without them. You might need something there to take up some space but usually it's not necessary. Should be able to spread the legs of the clicker spring a little to loosen it up a bit
Do what you can with that you have where you are

jkel

Quote from: Swami805 on March 01, 2020, 06:36:59 AM
Those 2 washers you're missing are very thin so they crack and fall apart over time. The reel should work fine without them. You might need something there to take up some space but usually it's not necessary. Should be able to spread the legs of the clicker spring a little to loosen it up a bit

I removed that tension washer and put the belleville washer under the drag spacer.

As for the clicker, I removed the clicker spring and it's still hard to move. If anything I'll remove it and install the CC kit that I have.  :)

Thanks Swami!

Newell Nut

That clicker pawl appears to be installed wrong from the expanded view. One of Tom's kits will work really smooth for you. That is one of the older 4 stack systems and that drag spacer with the large flange on it typically does not have bellevelle under it. That wide flange fits directly on the drag stack. That is why your photo of the handle view shows the spacer sticking out too far. A delrin washer between that spacer and the drag stack would smooth it out a bit.

Dwight

jkel

Quote from: Newell Nut on March 01, 2020, 11:25:30 PM
That clicker pawl appears to be installed wrong from the expanded view. One of Tom's kits will work really smooth for you. That is one of the older 4 stack systems and that drag spacer with the large flange on it typically does not have bellevelle under it. That wide flange fits directly on the drag stack. That is why your photo of the handle view shows the spacer sticking out too far. A delrin washer between that spacer and the drag stack would smooth it out a bit.

Dwight

Thanks Dwight for pointing that out about the belleville washer and of the drag stack. Maybe this reel was 'Frankensteined' ?

Still learning about Newells and trying to figure out all the interchangeable components. Really appreciate your help.  :)

Newell Nut

After you go through a bunch of them you will be a lot more comfortable and they will get really simple for you. They are great reels. You have an original P series which is about 40 years old. Lot of life left in it. Enjoy.

jkel

Quote from: Newell Nut on March 02, 2020, 11:34:40 AM
After you go through a bunch of them you will be a lot more comfortable and they will get really simple for you. They are great reels. You have an original P series which is about 40 years old. Lot of life left in it. Enjoy.

Currently I have 2 300 series, this 447, and looking to get a couple 500 series.  ;D