Versa-Gear PENN TorqueTM Star Drag

Started by mrbrklyn, March 02, 2020, 04:22:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mrbrklyn

I'm trying to change the gear for my Torque 12 and I researched this.  First I had to purchase the parts seperately from Mystic:
The 5-TRQ40 Gear Main (4.8:1 ratio) (TRQ12G)
and 13-TRQ40 Gear Pinion Gear (4.8:1 ration) (TRQ12G)

52 dollars for the two parts.  The gear sure was pretty out of the paper it was wrap in.

The only instructions I could find to do this is from

http://www.scottsbt.com/catalog/store/images/pennparts/technical/versa-gear-instructions.pdf

I studied this careful and after reading all the notices, it seemed like it is designed to a hobbyest to take it apart and put it together.  But it is not.  Once you take it apart it will not reassemble.

The instructions are for an  older reel, and there are some slight differences, one of which make it impossible to put it back together again . There are not 3 screws for the top plate, as in step seven.  Instead, there are two screws and  the freespool switch needs to be unscrewed, and is where screw three used to be.  Unfortunately, once you do that, it seems impossible to reassemble to reel.  The cam that the respol rotates need to be in a proper position, otherwise it just will not go flush on reassemble.  That is aside from the problem with the paws being in engaged position, which really needs better images.

Now I have to send the entire thing back to Penn, disassembled.  If there are instructions for the new Torqeu 12, I don't see them.  This is what I have:

Additionally, I was looking up the scematic at:
http://s7d5.scene7.com/is/content/purefishing/407-TRQ12G

I have one part that I can not find in the diagram that fell out of the reel:

I wish I knew what the heck this was. 

oc1

Quote from: mrbrklyn on March 02, 2020, 04:22:59 AM
I have one part that I can not find in the diagram that fell out of the reel:

I wish I knew what the heck this was.  

The round thing is the detent, Key No. 8 on the schematic.  Is that one of the side plate screws?

Getting the eccentric and eccentric spring configured correctly is tricky.  If it is not correct it will not go into and out of gear.  If it cannot be moved into and out of gear then the yoke will not move and the pinion will not seat on the spool shaft.

Take it out of gear while replacing the side plate.   Engage and disengage the clutch a few times to make sure it works before replacing the side plate screws.
-steve

nelz

That part goes under the drag star, it gives the star the "clicking" sound when you turn it. And yes, it's Key No. 8.

Cor

Looks like the little clicker thingy that fits in the star drag?
Sorry, i only have a phone and no easy access to a schematic either.
Cornelis

oc1

Too funny.  Three replies at the same time.
-steve

Gfish

That's the "detent assembly" from step #32 on the instructions in the website you provided.
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

Benni3

Quote from: mrbrklyn on March 02, 2020, 06:10:25 AM
I boxed it up at this point and I'm sending it to Penn.  I hope they can put it back together,  I'm just going to lose parts at this point and don't have enough instructiont o fix it.

I am a little annoyed by this.  This should have been easy.
It's difficult sometimes,,,, :-\ i would let mystic parts put them in,,,,,,, ;D