No Penn Reel is ever too old

Started by Bushy, March 02, 2020, 05:04:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bushy

No Penn Reel is ever too old, but I'm challenged today in locating parts.  I was gifted a group of nice old reels that I want to clean up and offer out at our Sand Crab Classic Perch Derby.  Nice old reels, but I'm not finiding the parts.  Wondering if there are equivalent parts from more modern reels? REally I just want to clean them up and install new drag stacks. One model I might want new bearings as well, because it has them.  any info is mucho appreciado.

Reels:

Penn No 49 with drag/nodrag lever (!?!)
Penn No 149 "Deep Sea Reel"
Penn No 66 Long Beach
Penn No 65 Long Beach
Penn No 28 Del Mar
PennNo 26 Monofil

And the one I am keeping , that I'd like to get bearings for is
Penn 3/0H "Special Senator"

They are all really cool reels and I can buff them up but someone taught me years ago don't take it apart unless you have replacement drag stack in hand.....

Thanks

Bushy

oc1

Quote from: Bushy on March 02, 2020, 05:04:55 AM
don't take it apart unless you have replacement drag stack in hand.....

Take it apart first, remove the old drag washers, measure them and match the measurements up on the table at Smooth Drag.
-steve

Gfish

Ssssup Bushy! Try Mysticparts.com, they'll have most parts for those reels as many are interchangeable. However some that are very common, such as spools, etc. they will be out of. Also they may have info. on interchangeability for a given part.
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

Bushy

Thanks Steve andGFish.  That's where I started, at Mystic parts. These reels not listed.  I figureparts (esp drag stacks0 can be nterchangeable, and (Steve0 I was trying to avoid the measuring.  Cause 'm lazy and I also don't have a micrometer....Just an old wooden ruler LOL.

Bushy

Donnyboat

Hi Bushy, if mystic, cant advise you of replacement parts for most of them reels, then i am sure many of the members here, can, you will find smooth Drag, will already have the details for them reels as far as Drags go,, your nearest engineering shop could measure any bearings you need, or take them to a bearing supplier, they will measure them for you, place the parts you need, in is zip lock bag with the details written on the bag, good luck, cheers Don.
Don, or donnyboat

oc1

RowdyW

Bushy, you should check Mystic again, most of the reels you listed are in stock there. All those reels are on Mystic's list of reels and are not obsolete.              Rudy

Keta

Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

alantani

allen, i'll be at the fred hall show all the rest of this week, but next week i'll be home.  if you swing by, we can put together as many frankenbuilt reels as you want.  i have dozens of old reels that we can part out and/or rebuild.  i won't be able to make the derby, though.  glenn fukumoto's funeral is the same day.  ping me next week, anytime! 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Bushy

Wow.  Thanks everybody!  Alan, I will take you up on that offer! For sure. We need to spend some quality time together. And, I guess I need to get a little better at looking things up on Mystic. Sorry to hear about Glenn, what a great guy.

I can auction the reels offf as "AAA Rebuilds"  Alan and Allen......

Bushy

alantani

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!