Penn 330 Gti Spool shaft bearing

Started by retiredandfishing, March 02, 2020, 04:12:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

retiredandfishing

I'm working on a Penn 330 GTi.  The main and pinion gears are bad so replacing those.  Also seems the spool shaft bearing is bad.  When I look at the schematic it seems the bearing comes with the bridge as well.  It appears you have to buy both to get the bearing.  Anyone know the size of this bearing and have any good hacks as to how to get the bearing out and back in?  It appears that I could use two sockets of the correctly fitting size and press the bearing out and back in like on the Abu Garcia anti reverse bearing.  But if anyone has a better idea I'm open to that.
Thanks for your help.

Steve

Hardy Boy

I do a bunch of those every year. Yes you can get the bridge that comes with the sleeve and bearing or buy all separately. The size is 8x16x5. I just tap them out with a socket and tap back in with a hammer after greasing it up. I buy them in bulk but if you only need one give Dawn a shout at Smooth drag.

Cheers:

Todd
Todd

Wolli

The problem are the crimps that hold the bearing firmly in place.
I remove it same way as Todd described.
But i would not hammer the new bearing in the seat. For proper seating fit the seat with sandpaper or dremel.

Good Luck

Wolli
love jigging    www.jupiter-sunrise-lodge.com/de/
Authorized Jigging Master Service Partner (in Germany)

Hardy Boy

Maybe I should have not used the word "hammer" in my description .................... they just "tap" right in with out much effort. You should not have to "hammer" them. I have not had to modify the cup but that is a good idea if it does not tap right in.

Cheers:

Todd
Todd

retiredandfishing

Thanks to all for the info.  Exactly what I needed to know.  I just need the bearing so will go to smooth drag for as suggested. 

Thanks again, Steve