Penn SS mods

Started by JasonGotaProblem, August 26, 2020, 02:00:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JasonGotaProblem

Are people still doing that or did I arrive 10 years too late to this party? I've done a ton of reading on these reels and picked up a brass geared 8500SS with the intent of swapping out parts like some of the cool titanium higher tooth ratchets etc but it seems like i may have missed that boat. Is that still a thing? Are any of these parts still available?

Also it's been a while, how are those modified reels holding up after years of fishing?

God I have so many questions. I'm not new to fishing or tinkering, but am fairly new to doing so with reels. I don't even know where to begin.
Any machine is a smoke machine if you use it wrong enough.

RowdyW

Welcome. You could start by introducing yourself & describeing what you like to do in the Welcome section. Test the water before jumping in.   ;)         Rudy 

oc1

Quote from: JasonGotaPenn on August 26, 2020, 02:00:52 AM
Are people still doing that or did I arrive 10 years too late to this party?

Gee, I didn't even know it ever was a thing.  So, I googled it.  This was the first item on the search results:
https://alantani.com/index.php?topic=5564.0

Tip of the iceberg?

Oh, and welcome.

-steve

ReelFishingProblems

Even if it isn't something anyone is doing anymore, if it's something you want to do you should do it.

There are a lot of great people on this site who have taken a great approach to reel mods. Identify the problem you're tryin  to fix and get after it. There are plenty of ideas on here of what you can do, take what works for you.

Welcome,

Nick

foakes

Welcome aboard, Jason!

Best, Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

thorhammer

Welcome! My SS's are all still going strong with regular use from the 90's- without upgrades :)

John

JasonGotaProblem

Quote from: oc1 on August 26, 2020, 06:13:39 AM

Gee, I didn't even know it ever was a thing.  So, I googled it.  This was the first item on the search results:

Tip of the iceberg?

Oh, and welcome.

-steve

That was one of the many threads on here that inspired me. Also one of the many examples where we were told to expect a performance update that never came unless it was in a different thread. (How did the bearings vs bushings experiment play out?)
Quote from: RowdyW on August 26, 2020, 03:18:12 AM
Welcome. You could start by introducing yourself & describeing what you like to do in the Welcome section. Test the water before jumping in.   ;)         Rudy 
That sounds way too logical for my taste. But in the spirit of good sportsmanship I will try to do so today.

Thank you for the warm welcome. I suspect I'm gonna like it here.

To be more clear of my short term goals for thia reel, I'd love to do the multiple dog setup (and have purchased a spare ratchet and dog assembly on eBay in preparation) and if possible I'd like to upgrade the ratchet to a one with more teeth. I'd be thrilled to purchase one already made, but I'm an AutoCAD technician by trade (or at least by paycheck) so I've given some thought to getting my own designed and made if it comes down to it. My city (Tampa) has a lot of machine shops.

Dominick

Good to have you on board.  Dominick, San Mateo, CA
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Brewcrafter

Welcome Jason from the SoCal Inland Empire!  Good luck with your project and keep us all posted, we all learn together here.

Quote from: oc1
link=topic=31804.msg371724#msg371724 date=1598422419

Gee, I didn't even know it ever was a thing.  So, I googled it.  This was the first item on the search results:

Tip of the iceberg?

Oh, and welcome.

-steve

Steve - that was a cool video.  I know Jason mentioned that he was an Autocad type of guy, I have always been more of a "crayons on the back of a napkin" type of planner...
- john

JasonGotaProblem

Quote from: Brewcrafter on August 27, 2020, 02:44:31 PM

Steve - that was a cool video.  I know Jason mentioned that he was an Autocad type of guy, I have always been more of a "crayons on the back of a napkin" type of planner...
- john
I know a lot of those types. Very prevalent in the civil engineering industry. They are what we cad techs call "job security."