Rod Building Jig Add On Power Wrapper and Finishing Motor Setup

Started by The Fishing Hobby, March 05, 2020, 04:46:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Fishing Hobby

Below is from the video description. I thought maybe some of you may have some helpful ideas too so I wanted to post this here.

"Testing a setup I've been working on. My plan was making something similar to this as an add on for my hand wrapping jigs that I sell.
As of right now, the item is too time consuming and the parts are too expensive to make and sell something like this at a reasonable price. I am going to look at doing things a little different as time allows. Hopefully I can iron out the details and make these available at some point.
Maybe you all can help me brainstorm!
I'm going to list some stumbling blocks I've ran into below. If anyone has any ideas that may help, I'd love to hear them!
Problems I've run across so far:
#1: I have approximately $70 in parts and over 6 hours in time spent building this one. Add shipping charges on top of that and I can't possibly keep the total cost below $100 for the setup. I'd like to keep these under $100 if possible.
#2: I can't find an inexpensive source of flexible wiring to make up the wiring harness. I've managed to make up a wiring harness that works great and is inexpensive but unfortunately took me 2 hours to make. What I really need is inexpensive, very flexible 4 conductor 18 or 20 gauge all copper twisted strand wiring. I'd love to be able to use silicone insulated wiring because of its flexibility, but it is too costly. The wiring harness will be around 10ft long. If I could keep my harness cost under $5 that would help a lot.
#3: The time spent making the baby bottle slip clutch chuck and cost is high. The baby bottle is around $8 and I use about another $8 worth of hardware. I also spend about and hour making the shaft adapter on my lathe and putting it all together.

I guess the good news is that it works really well! Now I just have to cut down on the time and cost or I won't be able to make these available.
If anyone has any ideas I'd love to hear them.
For now, I'll keep plugging away at it..."