When Machinist Get Bored...

Started by Crab Pot, August 06, 2023, 02:18:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crab Pot

So I watched a you on YouTube do the same thing to a DAM Quick, 270 or 550, I can't remember.

He wadded belly button high in the surf and said the cut outs assured rapid exiting of corrosive saltwater.

Plus it took off a lot of weight.

I wouldn't do one.
Buy it nice or buy it twice.

Midway Tommy

Quote from: ExcessiveAngler on August 07, 2023, 08:26:31 PMIs the Abu guy above? Just kidding around?

If by chance you're referring to me, I'm serious as a heart attack. I've hated the looks of those customized Penn rotor cups ever since seeing my first one, and this one, IMO, is extremely ugly. All those notches & grooves just weaken the rotor.  :(
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

ExcessiveAngler

Quote from: Midway Tommy on August 08, 2023, 03:27:11 AM
Quote from: ExcessiveAngler on August 07, 2023, 08:26:31 PMIs the Abu guy above? Just kidding around?

If by chance you're referring to me, I'm serious as a heart attack. I've hated the looks of those customized Penn rotor cups ever since seeing my first one, and this one, IMO, is extremely ugly. All those notches & grooves just weaken the rotor.  :(
No sir! I was talking about the member pointbob! Said he was an Abu guy, and only knew about baitcaster!
Hard to tell sometimes, when you guys are being serious or not lol

Midway Tommy

Quote from: ExcessiveAngler on August 08, 2023, 03:34:24 AMHard to tell sometimes, when you guys are being serious or not lol

That's the problem with e-mail & texting......no personal contact to decipher intent.  ;)
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

nelz

I guess the spool would hold up well for braid, but mono would probably crack it. All those cut-outs would make rinsing out the braid more effective too.

I also wonder how the back of the rotor was done. I mean the rays or "spokes" I guess you'd call them, go in pretty deep, how the heck did he do that? It's like they were welded on?

foakes

Couple of things to remember on this reel, and others that I think he has modified —-

I don't think the parts that were cut away would weaken the reel in any way.  As a matter of fact, some parts seem to have been beefed up after the cut-outs.

Plus, there is no truly waterproof reel —- some come close, but not completely. So if the salt water is easy to rinse out with fresh water —- that is a good thing.

And if he has done this much outside the reel —- what has he done inside?

All kidding aside, like this reel or not —- this guy has some serious skills.

I have a lot of respect for guys who can do this type of work.

Not everyone needs to color within the lines.

Best, Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

ExcessiveAngler

Quote from: foakes on August 08, 2023, 10:24:27 PMCouple of things to remember on this reel, and others that I think he has modified —-

I don't think the parts that were cut away would weaken the reel in any way.  As a matter of fact, some parts seem to have been beefed up after the cut-outs.

Plus, there is no truly waterproof reel —- some come close, but not completely. So if the salt water is easy to rinse out with fresh water —- that is a good thing.

And if he has done this much outside the reel —- what has he done inside?

All kidding aside, like this reel or not —- this guy has some serious skills.

I have a lot of respect for guys who can do this type of work.

Not everyone needs to color within the lines.

Best, Fred
Agreed!  I just looked at some other sold listings from the same seller!
Seems he has no problem selling these at all!
I would have to say that is a pretty killer deal for less than $200!
The internals look, to be all brass, I would imagine that's probably stock, but do look nice and shiny! I assume they have been polished up!
Took a couple screenshots, but not sure, if there is copywriting involved lol!

jurelometer

Quote from: Crab Pot on August 07, 2023, 10:48:26 PMSo I watched a you on YouTube do the same thing to a DAM Quick, 270 or 550, I can't remember.

He wadded belly button high in the surf and said the cut outs assured rapid exiting of corrosive saltwater.

Plus it took off a lot of weight.

I wouldn't do one.

Agree.

The water goes in and out right around the spool gap.  Everything will be getting wet until you stop wading.  Cutouts our no cutouts.  I guess he could make a claim that it is easier for the reel to dry out when you are done fishing, but we we are talking about minutes, so.... Meh.

On this reel, those big spool cutouts allow the line to bulge into the gaps if the line is loaded under higher tension.  This is especially bad for braid, which has high tensile strength along the fiber but does not like tight bends.  Heavily ported saltwater fly reels have this problem. 

I'm with both Fred and Jason.  More power to the guys who experiment with customizations, but if you are going for a "Fast and Furious" reel, it is less complicated to make design changes to achieve a look than it is to improve performance.  Either is valid I guess.  I just have less patience if they do one but claim the other.

-J

nelz

Yeah, the back of the spool cut-outs are excessive.

Brewcrafter

The level of workmanship and detail on the skeletonization of the reel is impressive; kudos to the builder for doing it.  Yes looks cool.  Not entirely sure I would ever go there, but I can appreciate precision as much as the next guy. - john