Penn 712, a look inside

Started by festus, March 05, 2020, 09:50:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

festus

Here's my first Penn Greenie.  Been looking for a couple of years, and I was either outbid or refused to pay inflated prices.  This isn't really a full blown tutorial, more of a walk through.  This is a nice one.  There is some rash on the non-spring side bail screw and a tad on the spool.  Otherwise, it's in good shape cosmetically.  However it was difficult to turn the handle and it needed serviced badly.

Removing handle by turning clockwise.

After removing the cover plate, it appears maybe it had been serviced in the past with lithium grease.

Removing the crosswind screw.

Removing the other crosswind screw that attaches to the axle.

Removing the axle.

Removing the crosswind arm.

Removing the main gear and crosswind roller.

A look inside the rotor.  The rotor cup nut is 1/2" and uses standard right hand threads.  Feels weird using SAE sockets nowadays.  :)

Separating the rotor from the housing.

Removing the bearing retainer and screws.

Removing pinion and bearing.

The bail was working fine, but all parts needed disassembled and cleaned.

The bail release arm and assembly were working ok so I left those intact.

A look at the anti-reverse assembly.  I left this intact also and gave everythng a good WD40 bath and wipedown, plus relubed with Ardent Reel Oil.

These washers were a hard fiber type.  All those were cleaned and reinserted. Not sure if they need lubed? 

The gears were soaked for a couple hours in lacquer thinner.  Everything else got a bath in Simple Green and rinsed.

These are nice reels.  Piece of cake to service, at least for me after being familiar with the similar engineering in the German DAM Quicks and Shakespeare Royal Maroons.  It's doubtful I pursue collecting many of these Penn spinners, they seem a bit heavy for their size and they just were never popular here in Tennessee.  Every now and then you'll see some of the more modern Penn spinners in the gold and black at dam tailwaters where anglers are fishing for stripers. (Slammer, Clash, Battle, etc.)

mo65

That's a real nice greenie Chester. You can get carbon fiber drags from Mystic if the drag is sticky. If she's bound for the shelf that really doesn't matter I guess. I don't have a green one, but I have a real clean Z model. It's one of the very few reels I own that I've never opened. 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

Midway Tommy

You got a pretty nice one there, Chester! That little bit of corrosion is a shame, but heck, it's over 50 years old!   :)
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

festus

Quote from: Midway Tommy on March 05, 2020, 11:33:17 PM
You got a pretty nice one there, Chester! That little bit of corrosion is a shame, but heck, it's over 50 years old!   :)
50 years old, yes.  I found this Penn ad for the 712 in a Field & Stream ad from May 1971.  Very interesting time period.  I'd just turned 18 yrs old and graduated high school.  The legal drinking age for all alcoholic beverages was dropped from 21 to 18 here in Tennessee.  So was voting age, and daylight savings time was established.

wfjord

That's a very nice 712 --one of my favorite spinning reels. Loaded with original smoke Fireline it's a striper fighting machine!

Ruffy

Nice reel Festus! I'd have to say the 712 (well, 713 actually) is my favourite reel in the line up, if not my favourite spin reel of all at the moment. I thought the 710/711 felt too unbalanced with the larger rotor and spool, and fishing braid the extra capacity just didn't make sense. Unfortunately they never made the 714 in RH wind! Here's my go to reel now, a 713 greenie with newer 712z spool, matching 712z handle, newer bail with the original tungsten carbide roller, and the newer spinfisher drag knob with washer. Loaded with 30lb braid and HT-100 drags and it is good to go!

I tried fishing LH wind for a while, wasn't bad per say but after 30 years of fishing right hand wind it just felt odd. I ended up repatriating two 712's in a horse trade with Fred, one was a weird one with solid aluminium gear and a slightly different case size and non-interchangeable side plate (https://alantani.com/index.php?topic=29887.0). I'd be interested to know the history of that reel but not much came of it. Maybe early production run? Any way, have fun putting some fish on the 712, indestructable!

Cheers,
Andrew

steelfish

Quote from: Ruffy on June 11, 2020, 12:31:55 AMNice reel Festus! I'd have to say the 712 (well, 713 actually) is my favourite reel in the line up, if not my favourite spin reel of all at the moment. I thought the 710/711 felt too unbalanced with the larger rotor and spool, and fishing braid the extra capacity just didn't make sense. Unfortunately they never made the 714 in RH wind! Here's my go to reel now, a 713 greenie with newer 712z spool, matching 712z handle, newer bail with the original tungsten carbide roller, and the newer spinfisher drag knob with washer. Loaded with 30lb braid and HT-100 drags and it is good to go!

I tried fishing LH wind for a while, wasn't bad per say but after 30 years of fishing right hand wind it just felt odd. I ended up repatriating two 712's in a horse trade with Fred, one was a weird one with solid aluminium gear and a slightly different case size and non-interchangeable side plate (https://alantani.com/index.php?topic=29887.0). I'd be interested to know the history of that reel but not much came of it. Maybe early production run? Any way, have fun putting some fish on the 712, indestructable!

Cheers,
Andrew

this a cool reel, I've never seen a righty 712 before (713 )
The Baja Guy