Newell stand and clamp for Penn 501

Started by Crow, March 07, 2020, 02:05:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crow

Are these made from aluminum...or carbon fiber ? I *need* to make a "narrowed down" stand for the Penn "bolt pattern", and I'm thinking narrowing a newell stand might be the easiest way to go......Thanks !
There's nothing wrong with a few "F's" on your record....Food, Fun, Flowers, Fishing, Friends, and Fun....to name just a few !

Swami805

Either aluminum or "graphite"  some are solid "graphite" and some have a stainless foot.
Do what you can with that you have where you are

Crow

Thanks !....is there a "part number" for the aluminum ones...different , maybe , from the graphite ones ? I see several on e bay...but none of them are "identified" as to the material used, although a number IS visable on some of the pictures. I think the aluminum ones would be easiest to narrow, and re dill and tap. With out some sort of metal insert, I doubt the graphite would hold threads....Thanks, again !
There's nothing wrong with a few "F's" on your record....Food, Fun, Flowers, Fishing, Friends, and Fun....to name just a few !

Maxed Out

My new aluminum seats will fit your 501 also. No cutting or drilling required !!
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

Swami805

The aluminum ones look different than the graphite  I'll dig a couple out tomorrow and post a picture. Jerry Downey used the graphite ones when he made narrow bases for some Newell's so either could conceivably work

Alto Mare

I really like Newell reels and I'm not knocking them.
The graphite stand had been known to fail in some cases.
The anodize on the aluminum stand doesn't last very long.
I'm not even sure if Newell anodized i"them, or if he used some type of paint.
Strength wise, they do hold a up very well.
Graphite and stainless steel foot combined doesn't necessarily mean stronger at times.

Considering everything, You might still be better off with the latest upgrade from Ted for these nice reels.
The machining of the foot is excellent and the anodizing is also of very good quality.

Just my opinion, of course.

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

thorhammer

Ted's stand and a Torque aluminum clamp. You'd have to machine out of titanium to upgrade from there.

Swami805

Here's a aluminum stand on the black reel and graphite on the red one. There's not much meat on the sides if you're thinking of making it narrower
Ted's stands are top of the line, if you're not going to cut one up

Crow

Alto Mare

Quote from: Swami805 on March 07, 2020, 01:23:46 PM
Here's a aluminum stand on the black reel and graphite on the red one. There's not much meat on the sides if you're thinking of making it narrower
Ted's stands are top of the line, if you're not going to cut one up
Hello Sheridan, I'm not sure how many Newell reels you have, but if you wanted to part with that red one, let me know.
We could do reel trade, money, or parts, custom or stock.

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Swami805

I don't plan on selling any red ones Sal, took awhile to get a set in red of my favorite sizes. I'll let you know if I decide too

Alto Mare

Quote from: Swami805 on March 08, 2020, 01:38:20 AM
I don't plan on selling any red ones Sal, took awhile to get a set in red of my favorite sizes. I'll let you know if I decide too
Very nice collection Sheridan, I don't blame you.
I figure I asked since the left coast has most.
Thanks,

Sal

Ron Jones

That little red spool is awesome.
The Man
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"