Plastic or aluminum spool for a 145 Squidder

Started by festus, March 08, 2020, 08:01:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

festus

I've had a 145 Squidder with a chrome over brass spool for a couple years.  Been looking for either a plastic or aluminum spool to fit the model.  They are scarce.

There have been some used Newell spools come and go on ebay, but they want over 50 bucks apiece.  I sure don't want to pay that much, but after waiting two years why not?

My question is about the gear that runs the clicker.  The Newell spool setup isn't even close to the stock setup?

Can anyone chime in on this one?  Would it work on a 145?

vilters

not all of the newell spools have that type clicker wheel, some have the typical type. one thing i have heard, but cannot confirm is that newell parts for a 145 squidder - spool, base, bars are not the same width as og penn parts, so might want to check on that. if you do not find what you are looking for, i've got a 145 complete reel w/ plastic spool that i have no plans for...

festus

Quote from: vilters on March 08, 2020, 10:03:02 PM
not all of the newell spools have that type clicker wheel, some have the typical type. one thing i have heard, but cannot confirm is that newell parts for a 145 squidder - spool, base, bars are not the same width as og penn parts, so might want to check on that. if you do not find what you are looking for, i've got a 145 complete reel w/ plastic spool that i have no plans for...
I may be interested in your 145.  Gimme a day or two to respond, a family emergency popped up a couple hours ago.

Porthos

Is the reel still with "posts" or a one-piece frame? The latter will take more advantage of an aluminum Newell or Penn spool's potential and better justify the investment.

foakes

If you decide you need just a spool, Chester --

Here is one.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

mo65

If Chester's thinkin' what I think he's thinkin'...that spool from Fred would be perfect. Sorry to hear about the family emergency buddy.
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~