Monofil 27 / Newell Spool with 50lb Hollow Core capacity

Started by Porthos, March 09, 2020, 12:37:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Porthos

Since Charkbait doesn't do Fred Hall, they instead hold their annual sale at the store in Huntington Beach. Picked up a 600m spool of Toro Tamer 50lb 16-Strand Hollow Core for $67.87 out-the-door.

The line came on a transparent spool with only one sticker label, so it was relatively "easy" to get the radius to top-of-spool for "before" and "after" on the flip side

Spooling the line under tension revealed that the line was not packed tight at the factory, so the "after" diameter was a bit more challenging to measure--the 27's drag warped the distribution of the line remaining on the filler spool. Got the line up to this close to the rim:

Since it was a DIY project in my garage, I had no line meter, so I went by volume of the "cylinders" to calculate the amount of line taken by the reel.

"0" represents NIB / top-of-spool volume of line on the filler spool--corresponds to 600m.
"1" represents the Δ between NIB to line remaining on the filler spool--this is the amount on the 27.
"2" represents the line left on the filler spool

It would appear to be almost a 100 yd gain of 50lb line from 325 to 423 yds in capacity by switching from the solid braid to flat-laying hollow core AND the tapered Newell spool. This, definitely, was worth the $67.87 spent since I still have 233 yds to splice onto and top off the 50lb solid on my Daiwa 170SH.

The nub/nail knot splice sequence I use takes up about 6" of hollow core that must be cut off in order to do the next splice, so 23 yard yields 138 six-inch splicing sections before the hollow core main line drops below 400 yds. Barring any any tangles or fishing mishap cut offs, it is unlikely I will utilize all 138 opportunities (fingers-crossed).  ;D

Hope this assists someone in deciding if going from solid to hollow core makes financial sense.

YMMV.

thorhammer

mo65

~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~