Need Help BADLY with my Penn Fathom 25LW LH...

Started by Gunner1, March 10, 2020, 03:22:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gunner1

Greetings! I'm at my wits end trying to replace the bearings on my Penn Fathom 25LW LH reel. I'm trying to replace the one on the spool spindle and I can't get the spool pin out. I even bought the Boca Bearings spool pin pliers but they won't "fit" right - i.e. they hit the spool before I can get to the pin. So I thought that I would just remove the spindle from the spool. Well, after removing the plastic gear from the non-bearing side, the spindle doesn't come out! It's IN THERE solidly. I even tried tapping on it with a rubber mallet to no avail. I looked online at a picture of the spool and saw what looked like a set screw on the spool that would hold the spindle so I took ALL the line of the spool to get to it and that damn thing doesn't move either! Can anyone tell me what I'm doing wrong??

RowdyW

The first thing you are doing wrong is trying to remove the arbor from the spool. Give Mystic a call, maybe they can tell you what to use to get the pin out. They are a Penn Service outlet & should have a solution.         Rudy

alantani

here's the schematic.  the spool shaft does not come out.  you are trying to remove the bearing because it's bad, correct?
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Gunner1

Quote from: alantani on March 10, 2020, 04:01:36 PM
here's the schematic.  the spool shaft does not come out.  you are trying to remove the bearing because it's bad, correct?

Just upgrading the bearings to Boca ABEC 7's...

Gunner1

Quote from: RowdyW on March 10, 2020, 03:50:31 PM
The first thing you are doing wrong is trying to remove the arbor from the spool. Give Mystic a call, maybe they can tell you what to use to get the pin out. They are a Penn Service outlet & should have a solution.         Rudy

Lol. ok. That's why I asked. In my younger days I would've just banged on it or worse until I ruined it. It's kinda tough with this reel because there's really no online videos or tutorials for and and even looking at other Penn reels the arbor DOES slide out. Thanks for the tips!

alantani

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Gunner1