Upgrade worthy or not

Started by Maxed Out, March 11, 2020, 09:39:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Maxed Out

Is a $25 reel really worth upgrading ??

Now it's a $110 reel. Mo is a bad influence on me when it comes to the seaboy.....this is all his fault !!
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

Hardy Boy

We don't do this because we are smart !!!......................... ;D

Most of us here have put a bucket load of money into an old reel all the while knowing its not "worth" it ...................... but what the hell its fun !!

Cheers:

Todd
Todd

steelhead_killer

><)))">

xjchad

Love it Ted!
I think it would be fun to build a Seaboy tank someday!
Husband, Father, Fisherman

Ron Jones

A great little reel. What I want is one of Chad's adapters on your 501 width seat with 190 sideplates and an 85L spool (I think it will fit the 190 pinion?) and Newell bars.
I'll call it the black rockfish special.
THe Man
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

milne

Mo is a bad influence, 
Each time I read his build threads, I know I'm about to spend some money   ;D.

Na, I luv it.....

Col

mo65

Quote from: Maxed Out on March 11, 2020, 09:39:23 PM

When you ponder this question just a little...it should become obvious. Making a $25 Seaboy a $100 Seaboy hurts less than turning a $100 Jigmaster into a $500 Jigmaster. :D

~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

Decker

Quote from: mo65 on March 12, 2020, 01:13:22 PM
Quote from: Maxed Out on March 11, 2020, 09:39:23 PM

When you ponder this question just a little...it should become obvious. Making a $25 Seaboy a $100 Seaboy hurts less than turning a $100 Jigmaster into a $500 Jigmaster. :D

True dat!

Ted, ever thought about making making 30-60/30-85 bases?  Not a high-performance reel option, but I think it would be quite popular.  Could be put on the 185 Seaboy.  Tanked-out LB60s... hmm.

thorhammer

Quid pro quo- I ask Ted for one reel seat. I get three reel seats, a reel, some spools and a partridge in a pear tree that now has my entire 16 foot bench covered in lego reshuffle of seats, spools, handles, plates, clamps, etc. pulling in another ten reels to tweak. Now I cant identify where some of this crap goes. Loving it.

Maxed Out

Hold on just a minute

How bout a seaboy 2.5/0 Senator ?? It's wider than 2/0, but narrower than a 3/0
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

Alto Mare

All Older reels that Penn ever made are worth upgrading.
The only reels I'm not crazy about are the graphite spinners, bug there are many that really like those,
So it might be just me.
Sa
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Decker

I like the 111 and have dreamt about upgrading with the  aluminum spool, as Ted did, and Sals' Grouper Special gear set (5-149 main and 13-113H pinion).