Perfecta 34 History?

Started by jgp12000, March 11, 2020, 11:31:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jgp12000

I believe it is an Olympic reel with the PERFECTA No.34 plate made in Japan, don't know what year?

Midway Tommy

Quote from: jgp12000 on March 11, 2020, 11:31:18 PM
Perfecta 34 History?

What in the world is a "Perfecta 34"?  Being a little more specific or a pic would sure help.  ???
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

Midway Tommy

It's a 1961 vintage ultra-lite.

I'm not 100% sure which early Japanese maker made it but it shares similarities to many Japanese reel names such as Columbian, Airex 365, Frank Hacking, Johnny Walker Tiny Mite, Strength Spin Mitey, Red Ram and a host of others. Through my extensive research over the years I suspect they were made by Olympic, but I haven't quite been able to pin it down yet since Japanese manufacturers were so obscured by the distributors.

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

philaroman

body looks close to Columbian/Airex

Tom, can you think of any worm-drives, or

ANY brass/steel main gears that are known Olympic OEM?

can't imagine them making only one

Midway Tommy

Phil,

I really don't know because I don't collect Japanese made spinning reels. There are a ton of Olympic branded reels out there not including those distributed as Hurricanes. It was a crazy time in the Japanese manufacturing community, especially spinning reel copying and design.

Here is some information I have gleaned over the years:

"September 1931 Founder Yoshio Ueno invented fishing reel for the first time in Japan. Established Ueno All Metals Works in what is now Sumida-ku, Tokyo)."
"February 1948 Established Ueno Seiko Co., Ltd. in Tokyo, Toshima-ku, for the purpose of manufacturing and sales of fishing tackle."
"January 1958 Founded Orimupikku (Olympic) Fishing Tackle Sales Co., Ltd. to strengthen sales force."
"November 1961 Company name is Orimupikku Fishing Gear Co., Ltd."
"April 1983 Changed name to Orimupikku (Olympic) Co., Ltd due to the diversification of the business and (stock) ."
"July 1987 Established Ltd. Orimupikku (Olympic) Wakayama for fishing tackle production enhancement."
"1989 (Heisei original) November Orimupikku for the competition strengthening of sporting goods - established the MI (Bangladesh) Ltd. (the current Mamiya-OP (Bangladesh) Ltd.)."
"April 1990 The acquisition of US Tycoon Fin-Nor, Inc., entered the sport fishing."
"October 1992 (Ltd.) Orimupikku is merged Mamiya light machine (strain), headquartered in Saitama Prefecture Iruma, the company name and the (stock) Orimupikku."
"April 1993 Renamed its name to Mamiya-OP Co., it moved its headquarters to Tokyo, Bunkyo-ku."
"December 2000 Withdrawal from the fishing tackle business."
"September 2006 Withdrawal from the optical business. It moved its headquarters (Saitama Minami-ku). It opened a Iwatsuki office (Saitama Minuma Ku) Toda office (Toda City)."
http://www.mamiya-op.co.jp/company/history::) this page will need a translator ) :) Scroll to the bottom for the dates prior to 1992.

Orimupikku translates to Olympic, as you can see if you paste Orimupikku in the Japanese box here.

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

sandbar

Looks exactly like a Compac Atlas to me.

happyhooker

Mamiya was a fairly well known camera manufacturer.  Not as well known as Nikon, Pentax, Olympus, etc., but was in business a long time.  Not sure how they came to make rods & reels, but they did until 2000 (as Tommy said).  Mamiya's camera business was bought by a Danish co. a few years back.

Frank

Danwin22

Mamiya also made Model Airplane engines in several displacements.

I collect old Model engines.

USAF 1958-'62   NRA Member

PacRat

Quote from: jgp12000 on March 11, 2020, 11:31:18 PMI believe it is an Olympic reel with the PERFECTA No.34 plate made in Japan, don't know what year?

This one has some similar features: https://alantani.com/index.php?topic=28278.msg362720#msg362720