What Do You Guys Use For Livebait And How Do You Catch It?

Started by wailua boy, February 03, 2017, 06:40:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

conchydong

Quote from: smnaguwa on March 14, 2020, 12:13:47 PM
In Oahu, I have used sabiki rigs to catch nehu and halalu for bait. Hayabusa makes great sabiki rigs.

I've found the Hayabusa to be the best but unfortunately they are often the most expensive. In S. Florida, the most commonly used live baits are Pilchards and Goggle eyes (Bigeye Scad). Other  live baits commonly used offshore are Blue Runners, Threadfin Herring, Speedos, Ballyhoo, Mullet, Tinker Mackerel, Cigar Minnows  and what are often called "Bar Jacks" but they are really Juvenile Almaco Jacks that are found around the floating Sargassum. One other bait that is sort of kept quiet is using a 12" (legal minimum size) Spanish Mackerel for large Kingfish. or a 12" Yellowtail Snapper for large Grouper.

wailua boy

Quote from: Gfish on February 27, 2020, 07:58:06 PM
Went to onea those Smith Family Luau's near the mouth of the Wailua River a couple of years ago. It was Ulua spotting time for me. I was surprised that they swim up the river and then into the garden ponds (brackish water?), but why the heck not? A lotta people like me wondering around, but so many prey species to chase down. It was very interesting to watch their hunting behavior. Usually 2 of 'em, side by side movin' slow and ominous lookin as they swung their heads side to side in unison. Talk about instant attack acceleration.
Nice Yellow Spot T's. What'ed they take?

Sorry for the delayed response but they bit a live to'au or the black tail snapper another introduced species at maybe 4in in length.