Albacore Tuna trolling rod build

Started by retiredandfishing, May 29, 2020, 03:08:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

retiredandfishing

I have built rods for walleye, trout, steelhead, salmon, bottom fishing and halibut.  But, never an Albacore trolling rod.I'd like to build myself a nice custom Albacore trolling rod  So any suggestions I can get from those with experience, would be appreciated.

I would like to keep total length to 6 ft and will be using a fighting belt.  I'd also like to make it as easy as I can to get the pole out of the rod holder, so probably would go with a slick butt. I will be using braided line, probably 50 to 60 lb test and the rod will only be used for trolling, not jigging.  I will probably double wrap the guides.

Any idea's or suggestions would be great.

Thanks, Steve

alantani

my old albacore sticks are 5.5 and 6.5 foot calstar west coasters, all rated 30-80.  boy it's been a long time!!!!!
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Ron Jones

For a troller, I agree with Alan. Any quality 6ft +/- glass 60# stick will be fine, I like original Cal Tackle Sabers (same thing as Alan's West Coasters,) but that's me. 60# is big for albacore but sometimes a hit on the troll is hard, that's always a good day.

The Man
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

alantani

don't laugh, but i have these antique calstars matched up with an equally old set of shimano tld 20 two speeds, 80 pound braid, 60 pound topshot, drags set to 15 pounds at strike.  the topshots are 25 yards long and i run all the lures back 25 yards, where the bubble trail ends on my boat!
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

thorhammer

Laugh at what? I saw those rods in your garage and very envious! Great shape...we don't see those out here unless someone got lost from the Left Coast and brought it with them.

David Hall

its all speculation when it comes to those fish anymore,  BUT!  the water off our coast is shaping up very nicely this year and it may not be long before the brave few begin to venture far offshore in search of them.
I will be waiting for their reports.

retiredandfishing

thanks guys.  I'll be doing a little more research on the rod I want and keep you posted on what I end up with.

Steve