How capable is a hopped up Jigmaster /112H ?

Started by CooldadE, March 15, 2020, 12:55:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

foakes

The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

mo65

Quote from: foakes on March 28, 2020, 04:09:17 PM
Excellent explanation, Mike!

Agreed! I'm surprised that some of those old modified Silverbeach 99s don't come up for sale on fleabay. Maybe the owners are too attached...I know why...it's a classic creation! 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

Swami805

I lived a few blocks from Jerry's tackle shop for a few years, he set me up for my first 10 day in the early 80's when the RR3 was new. Heck of a nice guy, and a fun place to hang out. Thanks for the history
Do what you can with that you have where you are

wascallywabit

I have very much enjoyed reading the history of the Jigmaster,112H/Newell, Silver Beach,99 reel combinations. The evolution of these reels is a process over time, limited only by our imagination and the ingenuity of many talented people. I am thankful to the people who have provided the resources to put these beauties together.

TiB frame from Randy
sideplates from Tom
stainless gears from Alan
5+1 drag from Bryan.
Dogs from Keta.

These reels bear little resemblance to a Jigmaster or 112H or a Newell, but with good quality 30lb. mono, and  10-12 lb. of drag are capable of handling anything up to 40-50 lb. school bluefin or albacore. And they don't look bad either.

sabaman1

Thanks for the history of the 99 size reel, as I am a So Cal fisherman and remember seeing those reels back when I was a kid. Guys would also toss iron
very accurately on 30lb with them for yellows, calicos, bonito and barracuda. It was fun just watching them fish them on the old long rods! Brings back good memories!
JIM

Vintage Offshore Tackle

I just found an old photo that reminded me about this thread. 

In the 60s and 70s, the Jigmaster was the go to reel for casting live bait (usually mackerel) to So. Cal. Striped Marlin.  Box stock (except for a Newell kit once they became available), they were bulletproof, so long as you changed the drags when necessary (which was frequently - this was pre-HT100).

mhc

Great photo Randy, you haven't aged at all since '74.  ;D

Mike
It can't be too difficult - a lot of people do it.

Swami805

Do what you can with that you have where you are

Donnyboat

Nice photo Randy, and thanks to everone for the history, I just brought a jigmaster 500, for AU $35.00, looks new, I dont think it ever had line on it, cheers Don.
Don, or donnyboat

Maxed Out

Seriously Randy.....how could that picture not be on the cover of a Penn catalog ?? Please tell how long it took you to land it and how far did you have to chase it ??
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

xjchad

Husband, Father, Fisherman

Alto Mare

Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

El Pescador

Randy!!!

Stunning 144 lbs. stripped marlin.

Even more, Herculean was the reel it was caught on!!!!

Penn 500 with PRE HT-100 drag washers!!!!   What a story for sure!!!!!

Was line capacity ever an issue??? Can you remember the fight even today????

Wayne
Never let the skinny guys make the sandwiches!!  NEVER!!!!

Dominick

Quote from: El Pescador on April 22, 2020, 03:31:28 PM
Randy!!!

Stunning 144 lbs. stripped marlin.

Even more, Herculean was the reel it was caught on!!!!

Penn 500 with PRE HT-100 drag washers!!!!   What a story for sure!!!!!

Was line capacity ever an issue??? Can you remember the fight even today????

Wayne

Yeah Randy...More information for the inquiring mind.   :D  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Vintage Offshore Tackle

Thank you Mike, Don, Sheridan, Ted, Sal, Wayne and Dominick.  I don't really remember much of the fight, but what I do remember, and can almost see it in my mind as if it was a TV show, was that I picked the fish up in the glasses and it was tailing on the other side of another boat, and we had to wait until the other boat went far enough past the fish that we could beat them to it, which we did, and I made a nice cast and the fish ate the mackerel immediately.  What made it even more fun was knowing that the other boat had a ringside seat while we hooked up almost in their wake. 

I don't remember anything remarkable about the fight, but according to the board, it took 45 minutes.  I am sure that everyone is wondering why we killed the fish, and thank you for being too polite to say it, but back then So. Cal. marlin were very rarely released.  Most of the fishing clubs had competitions to see who could be the high boat, the high angler, the high lady angler, etc., and the fish were usually brought in to the San Diego Marlin Club or the Balboa Angling Club or the scales at the pier in Avalon, where they would shoot off a small cannon to let everyone know that a fish was coming in to be weighed and it was a big tourist attraction.

My friend's father's boat was a commercial swordfish harpoon boat and that was what we were supposed to be doing, but after spending the day looking for swordfish and seeing nothing but blue sharks and marlin, we couldn't resist.

Line capacity was not an issue because we were always fairly aggressive with the boat and never let the fish get too far away.  It could have been if the fish went straight down, but they never did that.

Thanks again for your kind words,

Randy