255 SS Gear Set

Started by Sith Lord, March 15, 2020, 07:26:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sith Lord

Recently bought a 505/506 gear set from Pro Challenger to swap and upgrade drag to 1+5. Turns out that this gear is no deeper than the stock unit and can't hold the stack as shown in another thread. The last 2 fiber and the eared/keyed washer sit above the top of the gear. The gear has a lip above the teeth so I assumed it was deeper, but the base of the gear is thicker, negating any additional depth. Has anyone ever come across this?

RowdyW

You have to use Bryans 5+1 drag set which has much thinner metal washers. You can't just stack up more Penn washers & get the correct result.               Rudy

Sith Lord

I'm using Dawn's washers, both metal and carbons. I thought those were the correct thickness? The depth of the gear is playing into it I believe.

Swami805

The 5+1 is a set from Bryan Young's ultimate upgrades and the washers are thinner. The washers you have are for the stock configuration and thicker so you can't use 5.
Do what you can with that you have where you are

RowdyW

Quote from: RowdyW on March 15, 2020, 08:10:09 AM
You have to use Bryans 5+1 drag set which has much thinner metal washers. You can't just stack up more Penn washers & get the correct result.               Rudy
DUH!