Daiwa 153H Coastal Clutch Trip Plate Issues

Started by jplee3, May 31, 2020, 12:50:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jplee3

Hey all,

I'm trying to rebuild my 153H and am having issues with the clutch trip plate engaging the A/R Ratchet. At first I thought it might be the Clutch Cam plate as the clutch cam screw was not tightened down as much as it could have been. But after tightening it the clutch trip plate still doesn't want to properly engage the ratchet. I did notice that if I fiddle with the clutch lever (by engaging it then slightly pushing it back up but not all the way so as to disengage it) the clutch trip plate engages the A/R ratchet but that's definitely not normal otherwise. The clutch trip plate spring seems OK as well.

I've oiled the clutch cam plate and clutch trip plate (and surrounding areas) with Corrosion X so there's definitely lubrication.

Any other ideas on what I may not be considering or am missing?

https://www.daiwa.com/us/service/manuals/image/baitcasting/CL153H.pdf

alantani

it's usually one of three things -

1. the ratchet gear is upside down - so many of them look symmetric.  flip it over and see if it makes a difference!

2. the kick lever is damaged.  the abu garcia revo and the others in their low profile line had kick levers made of pot metal or cast zinc.  they fell apart fast, so they added a stainless steel insert, but only after probably thousands of reels failed.

3. the spring for the kick lever is broken.  they are hard to see, even if you are looking for it.  i got fooled by one.  it took an hour of fiddling around before i figured out that last one. 

so those are the three most common possibilities.  take a look and please let us know what you find!!!!!
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

jplee3

Quote from: alantani on May 31, 2020, 05:03:19 AM
it's usually one of three things -

1. the ratchet gear is upside down - so many of them look symmetric.  flip it over and see if it makes a difference!

2. the kick lever is damaged.  the abu garcia revo and the others in their low profile line had kick levers made of pot metal or cast zinc.  they fell apart fast, so they added a stainless steel insert, but only after probably thousands of reels failed.

3. the spring for the kick lever is broken.  they are hard to see, even if you are looking for it.  i got fooled by one.  it took an hour of fiddling around before i figured out that last one. 

so those are the three most common possibilities.  take a look and please let us know what you find!!!!!

Thanks Alan!

I haven't tried any of the suggestions yet. For #2 and #3, how would I *know* that the kick lever is damaged or that the spring is broken? Are there any visual cues like cracks, bends, etc? Everything seems to be OK from what I can see but I'm also not sure what I would be looking for either.

For the ratchet gear I think it's on the right way - there's an 'outline' of where drive gear A (part 68) sits on the ratchet gear that could have only come from drive gear A. I can certainly try flipping it over though.

I thought that a video might be helpful in better showing what I was trying to explain, and it might be a lot more obvious to you and others what the issue may be in case I explained it incorrectly or inaccurately (in the second half of the video I'm slowly moving the clutch lever back towards the 'disengaged' position while still keeping it engaged to show how the trip plate slowly moves into place where it is supposed to be up against the ratchet:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/VnB7EFmWpmQ884D4A

alantani

ok, it looks like the kick lever is just gummed up.  the spring looks good, the kick lever looks good but i would need to see it from the other side to be sure, and the ratched gear is in the proper orientation.

try rotating the kick lever manually to loosen it up.  it need to swing counter-clockwise about 10 degrees to engage the kick lever and it's not doing that.  it looks like it's gummed up. 

when you push the thumb bar down, the kick lever should be swinging counter-clockwise to engage the kick lever

jplee3

Quote from: alantani on May 31, 2020, 05:04:00 PM
ok, it looks like the kick lever is just gummed up.  the spring looks good, the kick lever looks good but i would need to see it from the other side to be sure, and the ratched gear is in the proper orientation.

try rotating the kick lever manually to loosen it up.  it need to swing counter-clockwise about 10 degrees to engage the kick lever and it's not doing that.  it looks like it's gummed up. 

when you push the thumb bar down, the kick lever should be swinging counter-clockwise to engage the kick lever

Ah ok, just to clarify - which part # is the "kick lever"? Are you referring to the clutch lever (part 23)? Or is it the clutch trip plate (part 43)? If the clutch trip plate I sprayed Corrosion X on it beforehand and wiggled it around and it seems to be able to freely move no problem.

alantani

jplee3

Quote from: alantani on May 31, 2020, 06:17:45 PM
number 43!

Yea, so something is quite right with it. It seems that the the clutch trip plate (#43) is supposed to move in conjunction with the the clutch cam B (#40) when the thumb bar is engaged. Instead, the clutch cam freely slides under the trip plate without causing the trip plate to catch and move into the proper position. I find it strange that if I manipulate the thumb bar by slightly pressing it back towards the disengaged position but not all the way (as shown in the latter half of the video), that only then the clutch trip plate moves into the position it should be (into the ratchet groove/s). From the looks of it though, the clutch trip plate and clutch cam are almost supposed to move together. Not sure if the washer or c-clip may have been bent out perhaps where that friction would be lost? They look OK to me but again, I don't know what to specifically look for in terms of damage/bending where it might not be as obvious.

alantani

jplee3

Quick update (progress?): After fiddling around I noticed that the clutch trip plate moved back and forth into the expected position *without* the c-clip (#45) in place. So I ended up taking it and the washer (#44) to some sandpaper. That seems to have helped a slight bit and with the c-clip on the clutch trip plate continues to move into position as expected.
*However*, once I reassemble with the drag stack, etc and put the side plate cover back on, it appears to apply too much pressure on that same area again, resulting in the trip plate getting 'stuck' and not engaging the AR ratchet :(
I did add some Corrosion X around the trip plate, washer and c-clip for additional lubrication but not sure how much that really helped. I'm wondering if I should sand the washer and c-clip down more at this point... I'm not sure why I'm needing to do all this sanding when obviously it wasn't necessary with the original configuration - I thought maybe it could be that the clutch cam (#40) isn't screwed (#42) down tight enough but I have it screwed in pretty tight.  Maybe it's the clutch cam spring (#41) as it looks slightly angled coming out of its designated hole in the clutch cam but I'm just not convinced that's it.

This has been very frustrating - I tore everything down because I just wanted to clean out the worm shaft and other parts that I haven't accessed since it's such an old reel and all these problems have come out of the woodworks!

jplee3

Quote from: alantani on June 01, 2020, 06:50:50 PM
i think it's gummed up.....

Where should I check for gumming? I'm assuming you mean "sticky" in the sense that there's some residue causing additional unnecessary friction? Should I consider sanding the clutch cam, clutch trip plate as well as more sanding of the washer and c-clip?

alantani

try just the c-clip.  remove the washer underneath and see if that works.  i bet it will!!!!

jplee3

Quote from: alantani on June 01, 2020, 07:24:38 PM
try just the c-clip.  remove the washer underneath and see if that works.  i bet it will!!!!

The thought crossed my mind and then I forgot! Thanks for reminding me haha - I'll give it a shot and report back.

jplee3

Removing that washer seemed to help a lot! Now the trip plate engages the ratchet consistently. Although there was one point where it go hung up on something but it may have just been been the trip plate getting stuck and wedged between the ratchet and main drive gear - I had to open the reel back up and am not really sure what that was.... hopefully not due to some sort of 'exact spacing' issue the washer is there for. Anyway, hope it doesn't happen again!

For now it seems functional but I'll have to play around with it more to make sure.

alantani

yeah, a thinner washer might be the best option.......   :-\