Pile O Reels

Started by Hardy Boy, March 16, 2020, 04:14:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hardy Boy

Just trying to finish up 13 accurates (10 done) for a guide and then these were dropped off by a lodge client ............................ 75 reels (tr 200g, tecota 600, penn 330 and TX 5 moochers). Guess I'll be busy for a few weekends !! The good thing is the reels show few broken or worn parts, on initial inspection; that shows what regular annual service can do !! Still have not figured out how they bend and break so many handles ...... ???

Cheers:

Todd
Todd

Maxed Out

Piece of cake for you Todd

I see more charters and guides using Accurate reels these days. Lot of money sitting there in all those reels
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

TheReelShop

How long should this take you? That is a lot of work and then to organize what each reel needs, etc etc.

Hardy Boy

This guy has been bringing me reels for years so most have been done every year for the last few years, so most are in decent shape and just need a cleaning, lube and pawl. He did bring in a bunch of new reels (increased his total) a couple of years ago and fished them with out a service so that was a bunch of work last year.I usually have a lot of parts in stock but this is a ton of reels,so to be organised I do a quick check on each reel to check function (listen to gears, check worm gear function ,back off drags) and look for obvious damage (bent broken handles, broken stars, missing tension caps etc). This guy likes all mono stripped so I do that at the same time. I then do up a list of suspected parts needed, check my inventory and place some orders................... then I get to work on the reels that I can right off of the bat (usually the moochers).

I found that with this many reels ,at once, that the quick check and ordering parts saves a ton of time over just tearing into them and hoping that I have enough parts. Its a time waster to have to take a reel apart and then not be able to finish it, and have a bunch of partially done reels sitting around waiting for more parts,  plus it gives me a chance to wrap my head around what I'm in for.

I try to get this large batch earlier in the winter, but he does not need them until the end of May so no panic. Start early in the morning on weekends before the wife gets up and plug away listening to some tunes. I try to knock off 10 or so a weekend which will get me there by the end of May. I could do more at a go but then my wife starts calling herself the "reel widow" !! ::)

This is only a hobby for me but staring at that pile makes it reel !!

Cheers:

Todd
Todd

steelfish

dang amigo, 75 reels at once and you still calling it a hobby?

well, on the other side I see some "fishing money for more trips with the ohana"
The Baja Guy

gstours

Tanks Toddy;   I,m sure you're learning a lot about every model of reel.  Every chain or machine has a weak point it,s said.   Maybe when you get time tell us what fails and what to look for on the popular reels
  It's abuse , then neglect that takes its toll then time makes them junk.  Lots of money there, and more where they came from!   Have fun,  great indoor hobby.    Then. Go fishing 🎣.

Hardy Boy

Quote from: steelfish on March 19, 2020, 05:36:55 PM
dang amigo, 75 reels at once and you still calling it a hobby?

well, on the other side I see some "fishing money for more trips with the ohana"

A guy has to pay for his vices somehow !! ;D

Cheers:

Todd
Todd

Hardy Boy

16 moochers down and started on the little shimano TR's. Just a few broken springs on the clickers (easy to repair or replace) other than that just a service was needed. These have a stack of 3 carbon fiber washers and they held up well with the  drag grease, better than a couple that were new and not serviced last season. More fun to go.

Cheers:

Todd
Todd