Main Menu

Norwegian Jigs

Started by Maxed Out, March 16, 2020, 11:17:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Maxed Out

Couple years back I received a pm from Mike (bluefish69) asking if I was interested in some Norwegian jigs. He didn't want anything for them, although I offered to pay. Couple weeks later about half dozen of these jigs show up. Mike had added a thick hootchie to each one and didn't take long to figure out the hootchie jigs outfished the stock jig. After a few seasons I have 3 of them left. Mike reached out to me again about more jigs, but I was slow to read his pm and they went to another friend. BUT he said he had more of the hootchies and would send those. So I ordered a dozen new jigs and thanks to Mike they are ready for battle. Thanks again to Mike and his generosity.

Here are the finished jigs. The first pic shows stock pink tube next to one of Mike's jigs with his hootchie
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

Ron Jones

I'm picking up a few of the really big ones, hoping to get a big one out of the deep hole.
The Man
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

Maxed Out

Quote from: Ron Jones on March 17, 2020, 12:41:53 AM
I'm picking up a few of the really big ones, hoping to get a big one out of the deep hole.
The Man

Hey Chief,

Best prices for these Norwegian jigs are at www.TomosTackle.com.  Shipping is free

Ron Jones

Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

redpaulhus

Quote from: Maxed Out on March 17, 2020, 12:45:13 AM
The Man

Hey Chief,

Best prices for these Norwegian jigs are at www.TomosTackle.com.  Shipping is free

wow that's really good. I haven't seen true nickel Solvkroken jigs in years -- all I have see locally is the stainless and knockoffs ( the 12 oz nickel was my first cod jig so its a sentimental one for me) and I never cared for the stainless models.

I've been buying these - locally made here in Massachusetts, they work great for me, seem to be priced midway between the nickel and stainless from Tomos

https://najigs.com/collections/lavjigs/products/lavjig-chrome-plated?variant=56180506187

But I think I am going to pick up a few from Tomos just because I can (and the former owner of the Lavjigs brand will give me crap when he see's me fishing a "furren" jig lol )

Bryan Young

Quote from: Maxed Out on March 17, 2020, 12:45:13 AM
The Man

Hey Chief,

Tomo is a chillas fella.  He shares a shop with someone that does Gyutaku fish printing.  Found him by mistake.  He has a lot of high end tackle, including access to JDM models.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Leerie18

Please excuse the ignorant question, but how are those Norwegian jigs fished? What is the desired action? Jerked retrieve with an intermittent fluttering drop?
LBG addict!

Dominick

Quote from: Leerie18 on April 08, 2020, 05:24:13 PM
Please excuse the ignorant question, but how are those Norwegian jigs fished? What is the desired action? Jerked retrieve with an intermittent fluttering drop?

Good question.. I would like to know also.  This is the way Wayne almost lost his ear.  He was talking and not paying attention when he jerked the lure out of the water.  It came at him like a shot and ripped the side of his face and ear.  Scary.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Hardy Boy

For lings and the such fish with in a few feet of the bottom and jig. Some like a high jig and a drop, but you can do smaller vertical movements and drops, usually give slack on the drop so it flutters. Fish will often hit when it is sitting still after movement so don't be afraid to let it sit for a bit before jigging it again. The fish will let you know what they want. This is not fished like a yoyo iron where you drop and reel up towards the surface. I keep with in a few feet of the bottom or even bounce it on the bottom if it is not too "hungry". This are great jigs but I don't use them much anymore as they are stupid expensive for the reel Norwegian ones plus they slay the yelloweye which are now closed here.

Cheers:

Todd
Todd

Rancanfish

Quote from: Dominick on April 08, 2020, 05:43:56 PM

Good question.. I would like to know also.  This is the way Wayne almost lost his ear.  He was talking and not paying attention when he jerked the lure out of the water.  It came at him like a shot and ripped the side of his face and ear.  Scary.  Dominick

Yikes.  I bet Wayne can come up with a fine story about that cool scar.  Maybe involving a duel?
I woke today and suddenly nothing happened.

Maxed Out

The stainless Norwegian jigs are fish catching machines. You jig them near bottom. On bottom will lose the jig. I've found that small light jerks and every so often a full swing to attract attention. The shape causes the jig to fall erratically and different directions.

We've caught plenty of halibut and tons of lings on these jigs. They will catch lings when all other boats around me are getting nothing.

The nickle plated copy cat is more affordable, but doesn't catch fish

happyhooker

Sounds like they're fished in the same manner we would also describe as vertical jigging.  Popular for ice fishing too.  I use vertical jigs I've made out of spoon or fork handles.

Frank

Swami805

I think I have one somewhere but it's called a Swedish pimple I think? Caught some fish on it before they had the depth limits in place for groundfish
Do what you can with that you have where you are

El Pescador

Quote from: Rancanfish on April 09, 2020, 12:15:59 AM
Quote from: Dominick on April 08, 2020, 05:43:56 PM

Good question.. I would like to know also.  This is the way Wayne almost lost his ear.  He was talking and not paying attention when he jerked the lure out of the water.  It came at him like a shot and ripped the side of his face and ear.  Scary.  Dominick

Yikes.  I bet Wayne can come up with a fine story about that cool scar.  Maybe involving a duel?

Ran Can!!!

Only wish I had that good of a story, BUTT either way, I do have a good one to tell my Grandchildren, for sure.

What happened was I was NOT paying attention to my fishing duties.

We were deep dropping jigs and speed winding them back up to the boat, and catching Skipjack tuna for both bait and Marlin fishing later in the day.

I'm yakking with Joe, Dominick's lifelong buddy, he is interesting, born in NY and later moved to NJ.  He could be a stand-in for and mafia-gangster type movie.  And he drops the F-Bomb about 2-3 times a sentence.  After a while, you don't even hear it.

While speed winding the lure up to the boat, I forgot to look for the lure, was talking with Joe when BAMB!!!!   The top swivel hit the top rod guide, make a roundhouse to my face, and all I could do is turn my head.  And got hit with the side of the jigging lure.

Was bleeding most of the day, and left me with a splitting headache that just wouldn't go away.

Back at the resort, still bleeding,

Decided to go see a medical doctor, a very nice young lady at the hotel front desk called a cab, they wouldn't come out for a fare since I was bleeding.

They called an ambulance for the short ride to the Dr. clinic.
There the Dr. did great work and his Nurse took a few photos for posterity.

On my next birthday, Dominick presented me with the SAME lure that I hit myself with during that day in Los Cabos.

man, you couldn't ask for a better friend ;D

So, when we say, "Be safe and Be Careful" we do mean it.

Be Safe and Be Careful!!!

Wayne

Never let the skinny guys make the sandwiches!!  NEVER!!!!

Keta

Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain