Pacific Queen 1.5 day New Personal Best BFT

Started by pjstevko, March 17, 2020, 02:02:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MarkT

Some nice fish there!  What was your drag set at?  2 1/2 hrs on a 100#er fishing 50# is a long time.
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

Gobi King

Shibs - aka The Gobi King
Fichigan

David Hall

Way to go Steve.  that is incredible especially for this time of year.  there has been no end to it.

pjstevko

Quote from: MarkT on March 17, 2020, 09:10:18 PM
Some nice fish there!  What was your drag set at?  2 1/2 hrs on a 100#er fishing 50# is a long time.

The long battle on the big fish was mostly due to my inexperience with fighting bft as this was only my 3rd ever trip fishing out of San Diego. I'm sure my fighting technique was incorrect but I believe my big mistake was not putting the reel into low gear sooner. The fish only ever charged the boat once so most of the time it was a slow grind.
I'm just not sure when during the fight I should switch to low gear....
I'm definitely still learning but feel extremely lucky to land a bft over 100# on only my 3rd trip!

alantani

i'm a wimp!  i drop it into low gear almost immediately!!!!!   ;D
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Benni3

This is great what's next on your list,,,,,,,,, ;D

pjstevko

Quote from: Benni3 on March 18, 2020, 01:21:57 AM
This is great what's next on your list,,,,,,,,, ;D

Yellowtail! That's been number one on my list for 3 years  ;D

MarkT

Sign up for one of Alan's Cedros trips!  My best single day (5 years ago) there I caught 26 YT!

Brewcrafter

Sounds like a great trip and a really nice report.  Way to go! - John

dangalang

Congrats!! It's nice when a plan comes together!

MarkT

Good thing you were able to go last weekend since the Big 3 and Seaforth landings are all shut down now.

philaroman

NICE!!!   each photo -- a different reason to drool

pjstevko

Quote from: MarkT on March 19, 2020, 07:31:45 PM
Good thing you were able to go last weekend since the Big 3 and Seaforth landings are all shut down now.

Yup I'm glad I went and didn't keep trying to go out on the NLA because they never left the dock!

boon

Huge fish on a 1/0... I figure you're fishing 3X or 4X hooks to land a fish like that on such a small hook?

Locally for our Yellowtail population hooks start at about a 6/0; I generally fish an 8/0 and step up to a 10/0 if fishing a big bait.

Bryan Young

That's awesome PJ.  I know you were excited about going and it paid off greatly!  Some nice quality fish there.  Enjoy and tank you for the adventure and pictures.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D