Tiagra 30wlrs, can I get more drag?

Started by Tomfl, November 28, 2011, 11:42:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tomfl

First post here..

Just picked up a Tiagra 30WLRS and would like to know if there is a way to increase the max drag on this reel? Would like to still retain freespool if possible. Is there a way to do this, and if so, is this reel capable of handling more drag without damage to the frame, handle, internals, etc?

I did a search on the forum, and did not come up with much on the 30.

Thanks

-T

conchydong

I am sure Alan can do it but these guys are the gurus of doing what you are asking for.
www.Cals2speed.com

kamuwela

hey tom take a look at the tutoriol on the 50wlrsa in the shimano section. you will need to reconfigure the belleville washers to get a higher drag. example stock will look something like (())(()) the strongest would be that they all face the same way ((((((((l keep in mind that the drag will ramp ur real fast. every click on the drag lever will increase the drag dramaticlly

Tomfl

Quote from: kamuwela on November 28, 2011, 03:51:07 PM
hey tom take a look at the tutoriol on the 50wlrsa in the shimano section. you will need to reconfigure the belleville washers to get a higher drag. example stock will look something like (())(()) the strongest would be that they all face the same way ((((((((l keep in mind that the drag will ramp ur real fast. every click on the drag lever will increase the drag dramaticlly

Kam, I did find that post and read it thoroughly. Was hoping the internals were the same and it'd be that easy.

While I'm in there, is there anything that should be upgraded/replaced since it's open? Drag washers, etc? I looked at smoothdrag.com and did not see any carbon washers available for this reel.

Thanks for the responses, just found this site and I wish I'd found it sooner. Lots to learn here...

alantani

make sure you get grease on the back of the drag washer and the working surface of the aluminum pressure plate.  salt water can get caught inbetween. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

kamuwela

tom im sure that the drag washer is carbon fiber already. just apply some cal's and wipe it off. make sure to add some to the spool under the drag plate like alan say's. the reel's are almost identical, follow the 50 post and youll be fine
                                                              aloha
                                                              kamu

Dismissed

I just changed the belleville config on my 30WLRS's to get just a bit more out of full.  I troll these reels a lot for a mixed bag, with some blue marlin thrown in, and wanted a still decent ramp up, just need a little more in the "corner" for when that big one digs on you. 

Stock (())()  -  16 lb strike, 27 lb full

(())))  -  set same 16 lb strike gave me 31 lb full and a pretty smooth ramp up. 

Only other thing that I changed between these 2 is the stock reel had the washer exactly as it came from Shimano, I put Cal's on the washer when I changed the belleville's.  Not a big change, but actually about exactly what I was looking for.  31 does feel like a lot of drag out of that reel. 

Tomfl

Great info here guys, thanks.

As odd as it might sound, this reel won't see any blue marlin or the like. I picked it up to have something "heavy duty" to fight jewfish inshore and nearshore here in S FL. Basically a tug of war, hand-to-hand combat style to keep fish out of structure in shallow water. Tiagra wouldn't have been my first choice for something like this because of the cost but I picked it up in excellent shape for a great price and I think the integrity and strength of the reel will be a bonus over other "lesser" choices out there.

I'll spool it up tonight, check it with a scale before doing any mods. Also considering a handle change to one of the larger custom jobs; it look like they'd help with the higher drag pressures.

Will let you guys know what I find...both in the reel and in the water!

-T

Tomfl

Well I checked the reel prior to modding it, and now I'm wondering if I either have a messed up scale, or if not, whether any mods are even necessary.

Only spooled it 3/4 full as I don't need the line capacity, and thinking it will help increase drag pressure.

With about 1-2 seconds of freespool spin, drag at strike is 36lbs, full is 47lbs.......

Holy #$Y*!!

-T

alantani

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

jlw1972

Reconfigured the belleville washers on my 30 today. 37lbs at strike, 100lb braid, 150lb wind-on.
Sumpn gonna die as soon as the weather allows.
I love this site! ;D ;D

kamuwela

glad you got it. what configuration did you use on the belleville's?

jlw1972

I used the one from above. (())))  this one. I didnt check max. Got all I can hold on to at strike.

fedu

I really love the size and weight of the Tiagra 30WLRS to use for pitch bait for Blue Marlin, I have it spooled with 80lb topshot.
My problem was that with regular settings the drag was too low if I needed to apply extra pression on a stubborn fish and if increased the drag settings the initial transition from freespool the lever would put the drag on 4/8lb and for circle hook fishing I needed to have this much smoother to avoid pulling hooks while the hook transitions to the corner of the mouth of the fish.

During my searches I came across this thread and also a couple others here on the site that were a great help, initially tried just changing Belleville orientation as per thread tips and the problem would persist independent of the max drag I would achieve at each configuration, so proper freespool transition would give me lower strike and full drag and proper strike and full drag would make the transition from freespool to strike increase too fast.

Long story short bought two extra Belleville to try and did this configuration (()))))) (8 Belleville's not the stock 6) had to move two of the three Bearing Thrust Washers that seat in between the ball bearing and the Belleville's to the left side of the reel placed in between the ball bearing and the pressure spring to try maintain spool centered.

Now without any more tries at the Belleville configuration I have perfect slow freespool transition to strike at 20/22lb and full at 43/44lb

P.S. - thanks for running a very helpfull site

Sorry I did not take pictures but after lots of opening and closing reel, I had doubts I could get to the point I wanted so did not bother taking pictures, just hope what I wrote is understandable for someone with the same goal on a 30wlrs