110, this can't be good

Started by Christopher M Songer, March 17, 2020, 09:46:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Christopher M Songer

Finally lookin the the 110 I got at the flea market in Jan. Dirty as all get out. I have almost NO $ in this and want to go ahead and bend it back out a little. Just want to fish some walleye with it this summer. The bail spring seems OK when I take pressure off by hand and the rest will clean up enough to fish it. I just don't want to screw it up and make a parts reel out of it. Any advice always appreciated. Thanks everyone.
Always go forward, never go straight

foakes

Doesn't look bad, Christopher --

Full disassemble, clean all parts, burnish any rough parts -- then polish them, use modern greases and oil, reassemble, realign the bail and angle lever, install new drags, microtune and adjust the functions -- should be good to go.

Many times on these little Microlites -- the bails are out of alignment after 50 years -- plus yours looks like there is a little chrome peeling off the bail wire which could cause a line cut (smooth it with emory tape -- "0000" steel wool -- and Nevr-Dull).  The bail must be tightened down (yours is loose which could affect function and catch your line).  Then, some careful bending with the palms of your hand will get the bail wire right.  Also, the angle lever could be bent slightly.

The bail must move freely -- not spread out too far, or too close to the rotor -- otherwise there will be friction stoppage because of outward or inward side pressure.

You'll be fine -- if you get into trouble -- no issues -- we'll help you out.

These two 110's are restored -- and were both much worse than yours before starting.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

foakes

Hi Chris --

Received your DQ 110 Microlite in the mail today -- along with the (3) spools you are gifting me, and return postage.

Thank You!

I will get it done this weekend -- and will see how the Post Office is handling outgoing parcels on Monday.  

California is basically shut down -- and may become even more so.

There are at least 4 other parcels to ship -- and maybe more by Monday -- since the reel work is flowing across the benches during this weird time in our society.

May have to switch to FedEx or UPS so that outgoing packages can be picked up at my house.  PO will not come to our house -- but everyone else does. Just have to do a little research.  Might be a little more expensive -- but everything seems like it is already more expensive -- so what's the difference?  Will need to buy boxes, I guess.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

philaroman

Fred,
while back (still?), UPS Ground was reasonable & pretty fast
drivers told me "2nd Day Air" was a waste of money half the time
they went by ground & "kept the change",  :o
'cause they knew they could do it in 2 days
BONUS: $70 Insurance was included -- enough for smaller shipments

BocaSnook1

Fred,

Thank you for the advice on the bail wire - I do use steel wool when I incur pitting or stripping chrome but have never tried Nevr - Dull.

Thanks.

Tad

foakes

Nevr-Dull is great for a final super sharp shine & polish --

Works on all metals, bakelite, plastics.

Ted was the one who turned me on to this product around 6 years ago.

I am on my 5th can in that time. 

Old school -- and just works.

It does not fix chipped chrome over brass -- or gouges.  What it does do is gently removes surface film and polishes and restores the newness.

Best,

Fred

--------

Fred O.

foakes

Got the little DQ 110 Microlite all done for you, Chris --

Decided to do a full disassemble & restore including oven-baked factory wrinkle paint -- as long as it was on the bench.

Since it was also important to test the line lay on the spool -- I spooled it up with fresh 6lb.

Lays perfect on the spool.

Will send it back tomorrow.

N/C.

Best,

Fred

--------

Fred O.

Alto Mare

I'm sure that reel looks better now than the day it was made.

Beautiful work Fred!

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Christopher M Songer

Fred, how wonderful! You are such a gentleman. I am at a loss for words. I never expected anything like that! Thank you.                                                                    Chris

Rancanfish

Thanks to Fred there are plenty of breakdown pics available here.  I may just pull the 110n that I have stashed and attempt my first ever spinner redo.
I woke today and suddenly nothing happened.

Christopher M Songer

Well I got my 110 back from Fred and all am blown away. I thought it might be a pretty good reel but this is a knock out. Fred has some insanely mad skill at restoring these reels. All spooled up with mono and ready to fish! I hit some rivers and streams in Ohio for Steel head yesterday and this would have been a welcome addition.