Torium Grinding with low spool tension

Started by DanKaz, March 19, 2020, 04:25:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DanKaz

Hello yall,

I have the newer torium 16hga. After succesfully servicing 2 other reels I now consider myself an expert. Unfortunately after lubing this reel and putting it back together i came across a strange problem. If i spin the handle when the spool tension knob is 50-100% tight it is smooth as butter. As soon as i dip below 50% i start to feel/hear grinding. I also noticed that if i turn the reel on its side so that the weight is to the left side (handle is on the right) the grinding stops. If i turn it so the weight is on its right side the grinding increases. Again this only happens when im essentially on a very light tension on the spool. I would like to fix this for any small bait i might have to chuck in my future. Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks!

alantani

So it's the spool that rumbles when you spin it with the reel tipped handle side down,  correct?  If so. It is likely a bad bearing on the right side of the spool.
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

oc1

Look closely at the spool flanges to see if the spool is centered.  If not, center it with the spool tension knob and/or some thin brass/copper shims under the bearings.  There should be a tiny bit of lateral play in the spool so you can rock it left and right, but just barely.
-steve