Lures - Help me understand them

Started by Gobi King, March 19, 2020, 06:38:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gobi King

Boyz/Girlz

I am going seek some education on the lure I will post,
how to rig them, when to use them, what species I can target with them, and your 2 salty cents.

First lure is the Tasmanian Devil lure, I picked up a few of these,

https://www.fishusa.com/Wigston-s-Lures-Tasmanian-Devil

can I troll these for salmon?
Shibs - aka The Gobi King
Fichigan

philaroman

I used to have a tie-dye that looked like that  8)
God only knows what I was trolling for, or what I caught  :o
...Herpes, more likely than Salmon  :'(

akfish

I haven't, but I know some people do use them to troll for salmon.
Taku Reel Repair
Juneau, Alaska

Gobi King

Lol, it will be hard to contract anything if I am by myself,

Some DNR guys in MI caught TB from inspecting deer, so I guess I should never say never.

I found this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s6hZwjna9_w&vl=en

I am guessing I need to right it like a spoon and troll it the same?
Fichigan

Dominick

Clear example of trolling too fast.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

milne

Hi Gobi,
          Re Tasmanian devils, been using them for decades down under. There are copious amounts of designs and colours available, with some older types now hitting the collector market.
Mainly used for fresh water, trout/ Salmon being the main target with them, but any fresh water aggressive feeder.
My tackle box is at the factory, but I usually carry a dozen or so different colours as standard, my favourite types, are pink and there varieties.
I have in the past changed things up and used them in salt water with success, they can be cast as well on light spin gear and you can put a bit of a lead split shot on if need be for extra weight. I would mainly troll them, but slowly, let there action do the damage, in larger lakes or smaller rivers, even set up my down rigger an run a few on that, use darker colours when going deeper, sounds strange but that's how I get my success when fishing deeper
Here in Aussie, there a staple lure I guess, a really good option to have...  Luv my Tassy devils.
As mentioned, Pink is my colour, then purple shades,  other lure types I fish with at the same time for Salmon or trout, silver with red tags, but always have a Tassy Devil out in the mix.

HTH

Col

Gobi King

Dominick - how did you tell that it was trolled too fast?

Col - Slow = what speed pls ? = 1 to 2 mph?
I have a few greenish and I plan to use nail polish to add some zing to them

On a side note I am setting up my lure boxes for the boat and lure by speed is what I figured the grouping should be, anyone care to share
Fichigan

milne

I guess I troll them and go by feel rather than setting an exact speed. They work fairly good at most slow speeds Gobi, in MPH I would say you can troll them comfortably at 3-4 mph. They seem to have a big action when trolled slower..  hth

Col

ModernFisherman12

Hello Gobi, The bounce or action at the end of the pole is the most important part.  I troll between 1.2 to 2 MPH.  I have caught a lot at 1.8 MPH when I've paid attention to the exact speed.  I'll see if I can find or put together something for you to see the action the rod should have.

Let me know if this helps and please send a pic of the fish you catch.
Love to fish, been Youtubing lately.  Always searching to learn.

Gfish

Cool video. That was a serious burst of speed at the end when the fish pulled the trigger. I've heard salmonids will circle a trolled dead bait before the strike.
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!