Penn 115 won’t go into freespool

Started by Tommytdp, March 20, 2020, 12:41:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tommytdp

I have a penn 115 that won't go into freespool I took the reel apart cleaned everything the pinion gear moves up and down when I move the eccentric lever with the side plate off but when I put the spool on it won't freespool I believe it's getting stuck on the spool shaft it's an old model with the chrome spool any ideas

RowdyW

Take it apart again and see if the pinion gear slides easily on th spool shaft & lugs of the spool. Is the jack on top of the yoke? Welcome to the forum. How about introducing yourself in the welcome section & tell us a little about yourself and where you are from.              Rudy

alantani

tommy, welcome!  with these reels, the mechanisms are pretty simple.  it's always "foot bone to ankle bone, ankle bone to leg bone, leg bone to knee bone," etc.. it's gotta be in there somewhere.  you'll find it!   :-\
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Tommytdp

I took the pinion gear out and it slides freely over the spool post I've dissembled and reassembled at least 5 times and it's still not going into freespool the pinion gear must not be going down far enough to clear the spool I've attached some pictures as you can see the pinion gear moves up and down with the lever

foakes

Welcome aboard, Tommy!

You can do a few things that may help this issue --

The jack tabs can be bent down a little more to gain separation.

The yoke can be polished so that there are no burrs or catches when in freespool.

And, looks like someone stole most of the grease from your 9/0.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Tommytdp

I got it figured out the I turned the yoke around and that gave it the clearance it needed. Greased it back up and good to go thank you for the help

foakes

The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Gfish

A relatively common problem when reassembling a Penn conventional. Too bad there's not some kinda mark on the yolk like "this side up".
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

Alto Mare

Quote from: Gfish on March 21, 2020, 02:00:28 AM
A relatively common problem when reassembling a Penn conventional. Too bad there's not some kinda mark on the yolk like "this side up".
Yes there is.
If you'll look close you will notice these parts are stamped.
The side that faces up Will usually have an eased edges (rounded edges) ...not much, but it is there,
That is the side that will  usually always face up during assembly.
Same goes with the ProChallenger's yoke, that one shows a deeper rounded edge.

In another note...On Cortez Conversions tongue for his kits you will need to do the opposite, rounded edge on the tongue faces down... I just wanted to put this out there.

Keep in mind that at times the yoke is bent, usually when that happens I will replace it because it will eventually bend again.

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.