Recommendations for an ultra sonic bath

Started by kiwiretzev, March 20, 2020, 11:34:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kiwiretzev

Hi all,

I'm after some brand recommendations please for a decent ultra sonic bath, as I'm 'over' all this manual cleaning!
From what Ive read, I should be looking at s/s units with manual dial controls and are at least 2 L in volume.

There seems to be very limited off the shelf options in New Zealand, so it looks like Amazon may be the way to go?

thanks
Paul

foakes

Hi Paul --

I have used this old L&R for almost 20 years -- a few times a week.

Manual analog switches and timer -- no heat -- SS -- simple and powerful.

When it breaks -- I would go with this DK from Amazon for $259, US.  (3) HD transducers, powerful, heat, SS, large capacity which is nice for batches -- but along with the larger capacity comes the additional transducer power -- which is key.

There is a smaller 2 liter version for about $109 -- but just one transducer.  It may be enough for you though.

I just fill the main reservoir with water -- then use smaller cleaning agent containers for different materials.  As an example -- Simple Green, Dawn dish soap, and a mineral spirit jar.  I can do all of the metals, painted surfaces, and plastics in (1) load -- generally goes through two 8 minute cycles for really bad reels.

Rinse, dry, then start burnishing, polishing, repainting, whatever -- saves a lot of time for me -- and gives me a chance to catch up on emails while drinking a cup of coffee.

Best, Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

kiwiretzev

wow thanks Fred - thats some great information!

Tiddlerbasher

I have been using a 3l one from Ebay for about 5 years. Just a regular cheapo from PRC (like most of 'em). Its digital control, I would have preferred mechanical, but twin powerful transducers. The only use I've found for the heating element is to keep epoxy warm on a cold day ;) If you have space for a 6l one they usually come with a drain tap and some have 3 transducers (for more shake rattle and roll ;D)