Upgraded 4/0 special

Started by Mauriceescobedo, March 22, 2020, 08:19:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mauriceescobedo

So, first time changing out parts/ hot roding a reel so here it is.
Took my old 40/ special I've had for ever. 20 years or so??
Anyway, opened her up went with a 4-1 gear
Bryan young UU 7 drag stack
Stainless sleeve
Stainless yolk
Double dog thingy
And a yellowtail special frame from Randy.
Can't wait to put some line on her and test the drag out.
Thanks mystic
Randy
And the rest of y'all that post up the vids and threads for info

Cheers and stay safe.

mo65

Quote from: Mauriceescobedo on March 22, 2020, 08:19:13 PM
Double dog thingy

Double dog thingy...I got a kick out of that! Great work on that reel...she'll be a stump puller. 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

milne

Double doggy thingy,
That's my kinda reel talk, right there   ;D

Great first upgrade, sorry to say, your in deep and hooked now....
Especially if your in contact with Randy !!!!!  He doesn't help our addiction at all,,, But man he has some great stuff, he rocks actually   ;D.

looking forward to your next one, my first one was only 6-8 months back, now I have 4 more on the boil.........

Col

Alto Mare

Good job on the upgrade! Hey, I called it a " THE 113H REEL / TANK" about ten years ago and we're still upgrading... most from there.

Now that you've completed one, hold on to your wallet cause things COULD get out of hand from here 🙂.

Enjoy that reel!

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

xjchad

Great build!  Can't wait to build my firs YTS!
Husband, Father, Fisherman

steelfish

Quote from: Alto Mare on March 23, 2020, 10:50:30 AM
Now that you've completed one, hold on to your wallet cause things COULD get out of hand from here 🙂.

Sal, dont scare our new friend, that reel NEEDS a new and bigger handle knob, the stock one is just too small

The Baja Guy

Alto Mare

Quote from: steelfish on March 23, 2020, 05:34:19 PM
Quote from: Alto Mare on March 23, 2020, 10:50:30 AM

Sal, dont scare our new friend, that reel NEEDS a new and bigger handle knob, the stock one is just too small

Not scaring compadre...just a warning, but it wont help ;D

You are right, a bigger handle would do it!

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Mauriceescobedo

Wow thanks folks. I'm definitely hooked now for sure. This reel feels better than any of my newer ones. Just feels solid.
Definitely in the hunt for a new handle and knob for it. I really enjoyed modding this reel. I've got a 500s and a 500 I want to do before I do the 6/0 lol.
Cheers

xjchad

Hey Mourice,
I only see one pic of the right side with the bridge in it.
Can you post some more pics of the completed reel?
Chad
Husband, Father, Fisherman

Mauriceescobedo

Here you go.

Mauriceescobedo

Anyone upgrade bearings?? If so mind sharing where y'all got them and did it make that much of a difference?? It's got pretty goo freespool.... but more is better.
Thanks 😊

Swami805

pull the shields off, clean them out with carb cleaner and lube with tsi321. That should do it. I don't think replacing them with high end bearings is worth the cost,maybe a little better but not much
Do what you can with that you have where you are

Rancanfish

+1  What Swami says.  I've got 6-7 113h variations, plus ProGears with those bearings, and only bought 2 new bearings.
I woke today and suddenly nothing happened.

Mauriceescobedo