dog spring orientation

Started by sciaenops, March 22, 2020, 09:12:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sciaenops

Well, lotsa time now to dig in to a bunch of old, inherited reels.  I took apart a Kencor Drum 810 to see what was inside, and looked pretty much like a Penn.

Cleaned & lubed the internals, & everything is good/smooth except cannot get anti-reverse to consistently catch.  I forgot to see how it was oriented upon disassemby, but I did get a pic after removing the shaft.  If you look carefully, you can see the spring under the dog - its a 2 wrap coil with a straight "tag" end and the other with a 90 deg bend.  Never seen one like this, so put it back as pictured (under dog with bent end to right in pic and sticking up against the raised side plate island) but it would only engage intermittently.  Removed any grease from ratchet, tried 3-4 different orientations (reverse tag ends, upside down, spring on top) and tensing spring but nothing has worked. Seems like there's a bit of vertical play in the dog even when bridge is screwed all the way tight, but adding a washer to snug it up didn't work either. 

Time to find/try a new spring or am I missing something?

Bryan Young

I think the dog is backwards.

I haven't opened a Kenkor reel so I don't know what the spring may look like
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

foakes

Hi Keith --

The spring may be too far sprung in the wrong direction at this point --

But you can try this:

Move the leg opposite from the eccentric to the spot between those (2) round anchor nubs.  Then give it a try.

Or switch the position of the spring legs to see if that is any better.

Don't have a Kencor handy up in my main shop -- and there might be a couple out in the storage bins -- but don't know where.

Let us know --

Best, Fred

The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

xjchad

I think Bryan is right, the dog is backwards.
Post a pic of the spring as well if you can.

Fred is also right as to the location of the eccentric spring.
Husband, Father, Fisherman

oc1

Looks like the end of the dog is rounded off.  You need to check how it fits into the AR ratchet teeth.  The end of the dog should snug up into the teeth without a gap.
-steve

sciaenops

Thanks all. I have dog oriented w/tab "down" (it had flipped over in only pic I had). Will check mating & mess w/eccentric spring but does latter affect AR function? Thought it only disengages the pinion/yoke.

sciaenops

checked fit between dog/ratchet - looked ok - and moved eccentric spring "up" - still no go. I can get it to catch before buttoning up everything but it always fails after some jostling.  guess I'll look for a new spring.

worked on my Penn 750ssm & ended up shearing some teeth off the oscillator gear - oops!  steep learning curve.  At least that's only a $3 part.

I got a Millionaire 3H back together with no problems. And it works!

Cuttyhunker

I posted Kencor schematics here, check em out, they may help
Doomed from childhood

sciaenops

tried a handful of similar looking springs but none worked, so went back to original placed under the dog with the 90 deg bend oriented down to left of dog tab, and its working. albeit a bit balky.

uman

I just worked on mine yesterday.  The dog and spring orientation that you have in the picture is correct.  The trick is to somehow get the dog under tension by rotating the 90 degree bend of the spring past the right side of the dog ear.  Easier said than done since one has to work from the other side of the plate in your picture.  But mine is working good now.

sciaenops

Quotejust worked on mine yesterday.  The dog and spring orientation that you have in the picture is correct.  The trick is to somehow get the dog under tension by rotating the 90 degree bend of the spring past the right side of the dog ear.  Easier said than done since one has to work from the other side of the plate in your picture.  But mine is working good now.

thanks - got mine to stick after some fiddling as well.  not planning to push this reel very hard if at all.