New Okuma Makaira 80 II SEA Narrow!!!

Started by MexicanGulf, March 30, 2024, 11:30:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gary760 and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

MexicanGulf

Quote from: boon on March 31, 2024, 07:54:20 AMAs said above, the 80 Narrow will probably get some attention from people targeting swords here in New Zealand. At the same time, the 50 Narrow has already proven to be adequate for most fish.

Do you have any data on the braid capacity of the MK 50 narrow?

gary760

Quote from: MexicanGulf on March 31, 2024, 09:46:22 AMI fish mainly in daytime swordfishing, the ideal for me is to have 1300 yards of 60 Pound hollow core (I also use seaguar, although it is not marketed in Europe)To it I connect a short leader of about 45 feet with 130 Pound varivas Tournament line. If the weight of the New MK 80 narrow remains contained at around 78 ounces okuma wins on all fronts
At less than 80 ounces maybe even 90 I would be very tempted ( very much a want not need - I can resist all things apart from temptation :) but I cant see them being less than 100 in my unknowledgable opinion :)

MexicanGulf

I wonder if Alan Tani has any news on the matter...

Donnyboat

When talking braid, 16 strand braid is must smoother through the water, less resistance, also is  smaller diametre than 4 strand, so you can get more on a spool, also when a fish is moving so fast, like marlin & others, its a big advantage, good luck, cheers Don.
Don, or donnyboat

MexicanGulf

The reel will be produced in a few examples and will be marketed at the end of May/beginning of June.

boon

Quote from: MexicanGulf on March 31, 2024, 09:46:22 AMI fish mainly in daytime swordfishing, the ideal for me is to have 1300 yards of 60 Pound hollow core (I also use seaguar, although it is not marketed in Europe)To it I connect a short leader of about 45 feet with 130 Pound varivas Tournament line. If the weight of the New MK 80 narrow remains contained at around 78 ounces okuma wins on all fronts

That's a lot of braid, why so much? People fishing them for swords here tend to spool up with ~750m of 80lb hollow and a long 100lb mono leader.

MexicanGulf

Quote from: boon on April 01, 2024, 10:02:25 PM

That's a lot of braid, why so much? People fishing them for swords here tend to spool up with ~750m of 80lb hollow and a long 100lb mono leader.

in reality, those who fish in a targeted search for swordfish must deal with three major problems which also determine the equipment to be used...

1° habitat of the swordfish during the day it prowls the seabed an average of 1650 feet deep. Due to these depths it is necessary to maintain a good reserve in the reels, a half-empty reel increases the drag resistance. 

2° swordfish have a very delicate mouth structure, the risk of pulling the hook is always very high. In case of catching large specimens you must dose the drag of the reels sparingly. The fights are long and exhausting, many have fought fish for up to 5 consecutive hours. 

3° When you practice swordfishing you have no idea what can get trapped in your hook, you look for swordfish but you can find a giant bigfin tuna or a thresher shark or a big mako. the thread reserve is primordial in this technique. 

Practicing this technique with less than 1200 yards of line is reckless.

MarkT

A 50N is a narrower version of the 50? There's a 50N, 50, 50W?
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

boon

Quote from: MexicanGulf on April 01, 2024, 11:25:44 PM

in reality, those who fish in a targeted search for swordfish must deal with three major problems which also determine the equipment to be used...

1° habitat of the swordfish during the day it prowls the seabed an average of 1650 feet deep. Due to these depths it is necessary to maintain a good reserve in the reels, a half-empty reel increases the drag resistance. 

2° swordfish have a very delicate mouth structure, the risk of pulling the hook is always very high. In case of catching large specimens you must dose the drag of the reels sparingly. The fights are long and exhausting, many have fought fish for up to 5 consecutive hours. 

3° When you practice swordfishing you have no idea what can get trapped in your hook, you look for swordfish but you can find a giant bigfin tuna or a thresher shark or a big mako. the thread reserve is primordial in this technique. 

There is more than one way to skin a cat ;) The women's all tackle world record Swordfish was caught on a Talica 50, with much less than 1200 yards of line.
There is a solution to the soft mouths. People here use more than 20kg of drag on Swords so they don't have to fight them for hours unless it's a really big fish.

MexicanGulf

Quote from: boon on April 02, 2024, 07:10:44 AM
Quote from: MexicanGulf on April 01, 2024, 11:25:44 PM

There is more than one way to skin a cat ;) The women's all tackle world record Swordfish was caught on a Talica 50, with much less than 1200 yards of line.
There is a solution to the soft mouths. People here use more than 20kg of drag on Swords so they don't have to fight them for hours unless it's a really big fish.

I use 9/17 kg of drag

gary760

Quote from: MarkT on April 02, 2024, 06:36:18 AMA 50N is a narrower version of the 50? There's a 50N, 50, 50W?
well I think when you are talking big game type 50s and 80s
As far as i know you only have
50 and 50w and 80 and 80w
People sometimes throw the term in narrow because the Wides are so popular and common on big game sportfishers for this size and type of reel. (well apart from the long range crowd where the non wide 50 variation is pretty much the standard cow reel)

MexicanGulf

the correct term would be 50 lbs topless 

MarkT

I have a silver Mak 50 SEa to go with the 15T, 16, 20. All topless 'cuz guys prefer topless!
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

MexicanGulf

Now I only buy Okuma, it's becoming an obsession to collect all the various models! ::)

MexicanGulf

I've been searching online for news on the weight of the new Makaira 80 Topless for a week... Unfortunately, nothing at all, does anyone have any news?