alan tani @ alantani.com fishing reel repair rebuild tutorial Komodo 463 - After two years of abuse
Reel Repair by Alan Tani
August 02, 2021, 05:51:50 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Komodo 463 - After two years of abuse  (Read 8276 times)
Cor
Cape Town
Firearms Group

I want to be fishing......

« Reply #15 on: July 04, 2021, 07:46:52 PM »

Just missing  a cast control so that I can huck braid with impunity when the fish are boiling and I am a bit too amped up.
So true! Cheesy

I just re read this thread.

For about 3 years I fished my Tranx reels with only a static mag and I dare say that worked pretty well.    Could cast 85 yds constantly for a number of hours without any significant thumb action by getting the fit of the magnet just right.   Its a simple trial and error construction and well worth doing.   The problem arose when conditions changed, mainly the wind.

A year ago I decided to fit an adjustable mag to one of the reels.   This hit the jackpot. A small adjustment to compensate for wind or casting weight changes became possible.   I designed the construction which is complicated by (what Shimano call VBS system)   It's simply a rotating disk that locks the side plate in place but it is in the way of the mag's adjusting shaft/axle.    As I don't have machine tools suitable for such a job I asked a friend to manufacture and fit the mag.

When I saw how much better this cast, I also removed the braid and spooled the one reel with 0.5mm mono 43lb and this setup now gives me a good 25 yds further cast (110 yds with a just short of 11 ft rod)    It is a very noticeable improvement in distance and outcasts most others around using the same class tackle.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2021, 07:50:48 PM by Cor » Logged

Cornelis
johndtuttle
Sensei

« Reply #16 on: July 04, 2021, 08:28:02 PM »

Cool.

Mag is da' shizz for distance casting.

Brakes best for light stuff.

Both (adjustable) is the best of both worlds (ie huck a sardine or a popper).
Gfish
Gfish

What? Me worry?

« Reply #17 on: July 04, 2021, 10:00:58 PM »

Dave, your first pic. shows the crank shaft with a bearing plate(#78) at the bottom and there’s a ball bearing(#77) underneath that. How was the condition of that one, given that it’s kind of a sump for saltwater there?

“In the interest of science” 😄, I godda use that one!
« Last Edit: July 04, 2021, 10:03:20 PM by Gfish » Logged

Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: