1995 Johnson Oceanrunner issue

Started by thorhammer, March 23, 2020, 06:31:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thorhammer

Hey folks, this motor has a powerhead remanned 2 years ago installed by my mechanic (he had it on his personal boat when I needed it, he's a good friend) - compression was supposedly all good. The old motor would rev to about 5500 rpm and 52 mph. Now it wont rev but to 4500 RPM at 37mph, and has started missing  / sputtering above 4000 rpm. Occasionally, it will choke throttling on plane. Same prop / lowers. Replaced plugs, vro  / fuel pump assemble, new bulb, fuel water separator, cleaned carb  jets, fuel filter clean, fuel in separator clean as can be. I have a remote tank filled with fresh fuel I am going to try to see if it's a blockage from the main tank, which might explain the missing, but what about revs? What else may be happening? power pack maybe?

thanks!

John

bill19803

Rivverrat

When was the last time it ran ?  I say you have a fuel related issue. Were the motor / carbs winterized ?  If fuel has been sitting in the carbs for any time it would be good to get them rebuilt. Especially with the crap fuel you all have when it comes to storing it.  Could be a plugged high speed jet.

conchydong

I'd double check your compression again on all of the cylinders and then spark and finally evaluate the fuel supply. I had a 2005 Johnson 225 Ocean runner on my old Mako and it was the worse motor I ever owned. Had the power head rebuilt under warranty VRO failure, finally had to disconnect the VRO when it was out of warranty and it still was a lemon. Good Luck with it. OMC's nightmare years. Finally the FICHT investment  put them under and they sold out to Polaris. After that, I went diesel inboard. I'll never go back to outboards as I don't need to go fast anymore. I was a Johnson /Evinrude fan all of my life until then.

sciaenops

Brings back memories (won't get into good or bad). I chased a misbehaving 95 Ocean Runner 200 for a couple years swapping out plugs/wires/coil packs, replacing fuel filter & rebuilding carbs & debunking cylinders trying to get another few hrs on it. Compression was down on 1 cylinder (~ 70psi) but it still ran. Then one day wouldn't fire so after all that I Figured the power pack went so I gave up.

I would second checking compression because if that's bad probably time to move on.  If it's good you'll eventually find it. Good luck.

thorhammer

Thanks folks! will try all the above....

Jeff, I run the boat at least three weekends a month, and only ethanol-free 93 octane in all my boat; also add Staybil in winter anyway. I've run seafoam through it also.

Gobi King

carb with high rpm issues = high rpm jets clogged.

I was having similar issues with my little honda, my buddy asked me use Sea Foam.

All clear now, I am sold, I run Sea Foam in everything now :-)
Shibs - aka The Gobi King
Fichigan

thorhammer

thanks folks!

on it....

Was hoping to get another couple years out of it then repower with four stroke Zook. I have DF175's on my Mckee Express and love them. The Oceanrunner is on a Daugherty Yachts (first year) Edgewater 1800 Marlin I purchased in '04. It gets the majority of my boating use, and is still in really good shape otherwise- I have rewired  / replaced electronics, T Top canvas,  and cushions and keep everything covered when not in use, and it gets a bath after every use.

alantani

yup, clogged high flow jets.  sometimes you can use the straw from a broom to clean them if plain carb cleaner spray does not work, but usually carb cleaner alone will do the trick!
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

thorhammer

Have carb cleaner and broomstraw! I like this one-cheap and easy! Thanks Boss! Will try that first up. Then a few unrelated  electricals from bouncing around.

More fishing, less mechanicing!!!!

Rivverrat

Quote from: thorhammer on March 24, 2020, 02:03:09 PM
Thanks folks! will try all the above....

Jeff, I run the boat at least three weekends a month, and only ethanol-free 93 octane in all my boat; also add Staybil in winter anyway. I've run seafoam through it also.

Dang! Your doing it perfect as far as your fuel. If it was no more than a 500 - 1000 RPM drop with out the sputter & choking out during acceleration we could say it was spark being you lose 500 or thereabouts for every cylinder that's not firing. I could be wrong, it does sound like a simple fuel problem... Jeff

Brewcrafter

I just got done helping chase down a fuel delivery issue on my buddies 125 Eforce 2-stroke.  Your symptoms sound remarkably similar.  He actually had fine debris that was hindering the needle/seat assembly on one carb so that he wasn't getting full fuel flow to the bowl and would quickly starve of fuel. - John

Benni3

With cars change spark plugs again I don't know how many times advance sold me a bad plug,,,, ??? and 1gallon of racing fuel to every 10 gallons for fuel problems,,,,,,,,, ;D

Dominick

Hey John, have you checked for fuel fracking?  I had that problem after they started using ethanol in with gasoline.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

oc1

Quote from: Dominick on March 27, 2020, 06:48:33 PM
Hey John, have you checked for fuel fracking?  I had that problem after they started using ethanol in with gasoline.  Dominick
Is that when ethanol dissolves the inside of the gas tank?
-steve