1995 Johnson Oceanrunner issue

Started by thorhammer, March 23, 2020, 06:31:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BradH

While running at speed, partially cover each carb with your hand or fingers one at a time.  This should figure out which cylinder is acting up- it'll be the one where the engine doesn't drop in rpm or power.

If there is a clogged jet, this additional vacuum can pull the blockage through and immediately rpm and power will increase. 

Rancanfish

I'd start at running it off a portable tank like was your original plan.  Keep it simple and verify each step.
I woke today and suddenly nothing happened.

Rivverrat

Quote from: BradH on March 28, 2020, 12:19:05 PM

If there is a clogged jet, this additional vacuum can pull the blockage through and immediately rpm and power will increase. 

This is good advice . Works very well a lot of times. Done this to get others motors running right on The River. Comes up at the beginning of the season, after people run their boat first time from winter storage or have let gas sit untreated in the tank for weeks or months... Jef

thorhammer

Quote from: Dominick on March 27, 2020, 06:48:33 PM
Hey John, have you checked for fuel fracking?  I had that problem after they started using ethanol in with gasoline.  Dominick

Hey Dominick, I only run ethanol-free high octane in all the boats, I had a really nasty problem in a previous boat before we could get the good stuff. Changed fuel  water separator JIC but what came out was pristine.

UPDATE: ran the boat this week and the sputtering above 4000 has stopped- I'm going to guess I ran enough fuel  / stabile  / seafoam through that some varnish or debris got gone. Runs smooth enough now, just still wont go above 4500...to be continued...we have shelter in place starting today so may be a bit before I can get back after it.

Gobi King

Are there ports on the carbs you can spray carb cleaner through? I saw some engines with those ports where you can insert a plastic nozzle of a the carb cleaner and clean er out.

side note: my little 2 hp honda was stored with gas all winter and it gummed up, sea foam did not cut it. I called a buddy and he said try Chemtool, but I need to be careful with chemtool as it is not kind on rubber parts.

Can you take off the plugs for each cylinder and take a peek at them, the color might shed some light if it not getting enough gas and running lean etc.
Shibs - aka The Gobi King
Fichigan