New to Newell reels - C-220-5

Started by Decker, April 28, 2020, 03:25:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Decker

Hi Guys,

I bought my first Newell reel recently, a C-220-5.  Although I have been using Newell bars, bases and spools on Penn reels, I know very little about Newell reels.  I'm looking for basic information and advice about using, servicing or modifying my 220.  I gather the "5" indicates the gear ratio - happy about that!

What is a Blackie?

I gather that Newells are good for casting, and like to surf-cast on the NJ coast.  Probably a wider model (229) would do better for long casts with a heaver rod?  What can I expect casting with a 220? 

The reel ought to be serviced.  Are there any special techniques, versus Penns?   Is there a tutorial link I can check out?

Thanks,
/Joe

Swami805

Almost service it like a penn, very simple reel to work on. The 1st concern I would have is the side plate/base screws. They're long and go thru the bars and base to the other side plate. Be careful getting those out, use a good tight fitting screw driver,they have a tendency to get stuck.
I don't know how to post a link but check for a stickied tutorial in the Newell section. If you can service a squidder this one will be a breeze.
Do what you can with that you have where you are

mo65

Sweet reel Joe! One of these days I'll nab one of those Newells. 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

foakes

Quote from: Decker on April 28, 2020, 03:25:51 PM
Hi Guys,

I bought my first Newell reel recently, a C-220-5.  Joe

Uh-Oh...

Its a newer song with a different verse --

And that rabbit hole has no reverse!

-----------

You will come to like and respect those Newell's, Joe.  It is an acquired appreciation.

Best, Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Hamachi

Congrats Decker, looks like you got "g" crossbars and maybe star on that reel. Headed down that wormhole, great find, good luck!
I recently bought a "c", once considered the lowest Newell, but hey, it's still a Newell! Small bearing cap? Self centering side plate screws? No problem we take them apart anyways, right?
The rail is your friend, no zing pow, on the iron wenches, I like broccoli!

Bryan Young

Hi Joe,

Here is Alan's Tutorial he prepared years ago. 

https://alantani.com/index.php?topic=24.0

Have fun.
Bryan
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Newell Nut

Since it has Philips screws on the handle side it has the short bolts which is less trouble to deal with. Not all Cs have long bolts. Once you get it all cleaned and remove the excess of grease that people put in them it will cast like a dream. You will like working on the SS bridge system. If you get stuck on something we can bail you out.

Dwight

Decker

Quote from: Alto Mare on April 28, 2020, 04:46:55 PM
Welcome to the Newells Joe.
I was always quiet about these to cut down on competition when looking for them.
I guess I could share now🙂

Here are a few of mine:

What, no green??  ;D  Sal, your man-cave is small but rich.  That cabinet is like a magician's hat.

Guys, thanks for the tips.  I'll check out Alan's tutorial.  Does a 220 work for distance casting, or is it better for shorter casts?

Rancanfish

Casts a mile when YOU get done I bet.  Use your skills Joe. And some TS-321.   ;D
I woke today and suddenly nothing happened.

vilters

castability (is that a word?) is one of the smaller newells greatest virtues. especially with the light graphite spool. back in the day when the so cal fleet could get  anchovies, (bait of choice) with a 200 series newell, you could actually cast one of those lightweight baits far enough away from the boat to get in the zone. also has gearing and drags from a larger 300/jigmaster size reel not unlike a magnum squidder or 255 pro gear. good get for you.

Decker

Yes, it's a word.  Thanks Vilters.

vilters

haha, thanks Decker. my computer underlined it in red, looks like i even spelt it right!

Alto Mare

Sorry guys, I removed my pics, I didn't think it was right posting them on Joe's first Newell.

You will like that reel Joe... enjoy it!

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Decker

Quote from: Alto Mare on April 29, 2020, 12:31:21 AM
Sorry guys, I removed my pics, I didn't think it was right posting them on Joe's first Newell.

You will like that reel Joe... enjoy it!

Sal
All in good fun, Sal! Salud!

Bryan Young

Looks like you have a graphite spool.  Load it with 15#-25# mono and you will love how it casts.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D