Another piece of Newell history

Started by Brewcrafter, March 24, 2020, 03:28:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brewcrafter

Using all this "at home" time to do some clean up and organization and when I was going through my trout gear thought the members might enjoy this.  As has been stated elsewhere, Carl Newell's primary business was plastic injection molding.  I have two of these leader holder packs; and have had them since the early 1970's for holding trout bait leaders, and they are continuing to serve me well.  I didn't notice until today the "Carl Newell Manufacturing, Glendale, CA" on the package.  I looked up the patent information, and Carl applied for the patent for this product in March - of 1953! 

xjchad

Husband, Father, Fisherman

Newell Nut

Swami805

Do what you can with that you have where you are

Brewcrafter

SoCalAngler

I use to use the Tanglefree for my Sabiki's.

SoCalAngler

Quote from: Brewcrafter on March 24, 2020, 03:45:33 PM
Those jigs look neat!  Plastic?

Metal back with clear or tinted resin/plastic top.

Lauren VanDerWeide

It's better to have fished and lost, than to have never fished at all

Swami805

They made the newellies 2 ways,  plastic with a hook screwed onto it and the other screwed to a metal jig. The ones with just the hook would be hard to fish, like casting a potato chip, I guess it could be trolled behind a weight or something.  The heavy one would be good for wahoo.
Do what you can with that you have where you are

Ron Jones

I used both of them in the 70s and 80s.
Used to use a spool of 10# mono with the terminal tackle wrapped around the tangle free. WIth a bucket of 3 or 4 live chovies I'd catch bass, croaker and halibut up and down the Oceanside docks.

The BEST times.
The Man
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

Butch

I love the Tanglefree!  I have used them for years. I gave my last new one to my Grandson years ago. I use them to store pre-tied leaders for surf fishing. I fits perfect in my fishing vest. The "envelope" is shot. The inserts are like new, but reside inside something like a credit card or photo packet. Not the best fit. I have been looking for a new Tanglefree forever. Any one know of a supply, replacement or a envelope that the inserts would fit in. Someone  save me!!! Thanks
Butch

Brewcrafter

Butch - I'm with you - the covers are starting to wear out on mine.  The photo is of the "good" one, the other one has an application of duct tape which may be why I didn't notice the manufacturer until now. 

Butch

Quote from: Brewcrafter on April 22, 2020, 03:18:53 PM
Butch - I'm with you - the covers are starting to wear out on mine.  The photo is of the "good" one, the other one has an application of duct tape which may be why I didn't notice the manufacturer until now. 

I'm going to try and find a replacement envelop or some sort of DIY to make these work... I'll post any results here..
Butch

Butch

I think I found something that will work. 1st, I've been using 2 bank savings book covers/envelopes. You know the book you would take to the bank and get stamped when you made a deposit or withdrawal. You guys are old enough to remember them, right? They worked, but are a little too big. Well today I found an old vinyl life insurance folder. I cut it down and it made a 5 pocket folder, just the right size. I could cut off the three extra pockets, but I used them to store spare hooks and swivels. I still may cut them off to make thinner. We'll see. I would still like to weld up some vinyl to exactly match the original.

The dimensions are 4-1/16" tall X 3-1/2" wide...

This is what I did... The main thing I don't like about the insurance folder is the stuff can fall out of the top.. The original folds inward, and you have to open it, for anything to come out... Here's some pics..

The original.

The bank book envelop.. Too big, but worked..

The Insurance folder...

I'm still gonna take a look at these car registration folders...
  https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07STKGXH1/ref=sspa_dk_detail_2?psc=1&pd_rd_i=B07STKGXH1&pd_rd_w=tiFpl&pf_rd_p=48d372c1-f7e1-4b8b-9d02-4bd86f5158c5&pd_rd_wg=XXul8&pf_rd_r=RES1F9VXHQ8CJW1MXC7D&pd_rd_r=ff31b381-ba47-4afd-a024-8505118ec8f7&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUEyQ1FaVTFEUkJQNFpEJmVuY3J5cHRlZElkPUEwMjM0ODA5WjFKMFU3UkEyN1VRJmVuY3J5cHRlZEFkSWQ9QTA3NzUxMDQyRVcxSUs2WFhLOVkxJndpZGdldE5hbWU9c3BfZGV0YWlsJmFjdGlvbj1jbGlja1JlZGlyZWN0JmRvTm90TG9nQ2xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==

....Any more great ides, pass them a long... This ain't perfect, yet...

Butch

Newell Nut

This is so cool. A friend of mine just sent me a conversation piece he said. It is one these leader tools still new in the plastic with instructions. Even has a trout weight estimator based on the length. Neat history piece.

Dwight