Grouper Junior — WIP

Started by Decker, March 24, 2020, 03:29:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mhc

Quote from: Decker on March 25, 2020, 04:45:03 AM
If I were to try a 113 bridge, are there other parts that would need to be changed too?

No other parts needed, just a gear set to suit the location of the post - either Sal's 5-149 & 13-113H set or stock 113 gears, a 5-66 and 13-113. The issue is getting it to fit into a 3/0 plate - the screw locations are very close but the gear sleeve post is a bit further from the pinion than on the 3-66 bridge (this is to make room for the larger 13-113 pinion in the 4/0 compared to the 13-49 pinion in the 3/0)
You might remember I broke through the side of the plate trying to make room - I'm not sure if that could have been avoided, I would need to have another look at it.

It's all good fun Joe - don't let me put you off having a go  :)

Mike
It can't be too difficult - a lot of people do it.

Decker

Quote from: mhc on March 25, 2020, 06:18:20 AM
Quote from: Decker on March 25, 2020, 04:45:03 AM
If I were to try a 113 bridge, are there other parts that would need to be changed too?

No other parts needed, just a gear set to suit the location of the post - either Sal's 5-149 & 13-113H set or stock 113 gears, a 5-66 and 13-113. The issue is getting it to fit into a 3/0 plate - the screw locations are very close but the gear sleeve post is a bit further from the pinion than on the 3-66 bridge (this is to make room for the larger 13-113 pinion in the 4/0 compared to the 13-49 pinion in the 3/0)
You might remember I broke through the side of the plate trying to make room - I'm not sure if that could have been avoided, I would need to have another look at it.

It's all good fun Joe - don't let me put you off having a go  :)

Mike

Mike's post where he modified the plate: https://alantani.com/index.php?topic=21870.msg241342#msg241342

Oh boy.   I'm trying to put a 113 bridge into a 2/0 plate, so it's uncharted territory.  But the 2/0 plate should be very similar to the 3/0. From your posts it looks like the 113 bridge pushed the main further to the edge of the plate, making you grind out and into the ring area.   Nothing that can't be overcome with epoxy, files, elbow grease and a sharp eye.  

This is what separates the men from the boys, eh? :P  So the dilemma again: stay with the original gears OR push for the slightly faster franken-reel.  If I don't do it, someone else will.  Decisions...

xjchad

Husband, Father, Fisherman

thorhammer

112 and 113 are same plate configuration.

mo65

Has anyone tried putting the 149 main/113H pinion into a 2/0 using the stock #3-66 bridge? It may fit better than swapping to the #3-113 bridge.
  Something else to consider Joe: When I did this mod on a 4/0, speed increased from 2:1 to 2.6:1...a much more "worthwhile" mod than going from 2.3:1 to 2.6:1 on your 2/0.
  Like Mike said...I'm not trying to put you off either. Actually, I'm super curious to see how those gears fit using the stock bridge. I went back and read the "Bait Special" thread and I can't find anything saying Mike tried the stock bridge...maybe I'm missing it.
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

Decker

Thanks for the support, guys!

Quote from: mo65 on March 25, 2020, 02:07:08 PM
Something else to consider Joe: When I did this mod on a 4/0, speed increased from 2:1 to 2.6:1...a much more "worthwhile" mod than going from 2.3:1 to 2.6:1 on your 2/0.

Right, Mo.  And I have a 5-stack for the original 66 main gear.   Starts to look impractical to put in the Grouper Special gear set.

But I want a true franken-reel, not just an upgraded 2/0!  I'm going to have to try, though maybe fail.  Steps:

• 1) Grind out some material in the plate for the main gear.  Still don't know how much (short of daylight.)  Dry run assemble with 66 bridge to test.
  • 2) If the above does not work, try the 113 bridge.  I ordered one cheap last night.
  • 3) Assess how much aditional plate grinding might need to be done with the 113 plate.

I put a notice on the trade board for a Bryan 5-stack to fit the 149 main...

thorhammer

Hey gents, Mike, with a keen eye, called me to correction- 111 and 112 plates are the same configuration size-wise, NOT 113 (4/0).

Thanks Mike! Only one cup of coffee down then, lol.

John

mo65

Wish I had a spare 5-stack kit, but I use them as fast as I get them. Also wish I had a spare 2/0 or 3/0 head plate to send you. That's the worst case scenario...trashing the head plate...and I'm sure if that happens someone will hook you up with a replacement. I'm as stoked about this project as if I was the one doing it...best of luck Joe! 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

Alto Mare

You can do this Joe, it Isn't  that tough for anyone.

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Maxed Out

Quote from: Alto Mare on March 25, 2020, 05:08:18 PM

Sal

Yeah Joe, and it's about time you signed up to the Ohana crash test dummy program. ;D ;D  Welcome aboard and enjoy your journey on the road less traveled, but often times much more rewarding !!
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

xjchad

Quote from: Maxed Out on March 25, 2020, 06:18:59 PM

Sal

Yeah Joe, and it's about time you signed up to the Ohana crash test dummy program. ;D ;D  Welcome aboard and enjoy your journey on the road less traveled, but often times much more rewarding !!

YES!!

Decker

Quote from: xjchad on March 25, 2020, 07:37:14 PM
Quote from: Maxed Out on March 25, 2020, 06:18:59 PM

Sal

YES!!

Time to spend less time on eBay and more in the shop!! ;D

Decker

The 113 bridge came today.  

I checked out my dremel.  Others have used the tungsten cutter for plate work.  Don't have that bit but probably the sanding drum will work.  Thought to use the flex shaft for better control, but am missing a connecting nut - now ordered.  

Would be nice to have some calipers to be able to appreciate the small differences between the 113 and 66 setups.

Shoot!  The bridge I was sent is a 3-113H.  Can't use it.  Looks like the guy was selling both; must have gotten them mixed up.

xjchad

Quote from: Decker on March 30, 2020, 09:08:15 PM
Shoot!  The bridge I was sent is a 3-113H.  Can't use it.

Anyone have a 113 bridge?

Joe,
I can pull the bridge out of the 113 you sent me and send it with the drag and other parts.
I'll find a replacement later, don't need it as soon as you do.
Hoping to get to the post office sometime in the next few days.

Decker

Quote from: xjchad on March 30, 2020, 09:14:59 PM
Quote from: Decker on March 30, 2020, 09:08:15 PM
Shoot!  The bridge I was sent is a 3-113H.  Can't use it.

Anyone have a 113 bridge?

Joe,
I can pull the bridge out of the 113 you sent me and send it with the drag and other parts.
I'll find a replacement later, don't need it as soon as you do.
Hoping to get to the post office sometime in the next few days.

Chad, thanks but don't do that.  It is ironic that I just sent you a 113.  I don't "need" it that badly.