5000D Locking up when hooking up to a fish, or when the line gets hung up?

Started by NBraun, March 24, 2020, 06:23:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NBraun

Hi everybody, I've been having an issue with my 5000D and I can't seem to figure it out. I bought this reel off of ebay to learn on, and figure out how they work, with the end game being put on a rod for catfish. I tore it all down, degreased everything, tuned up the bushings and such, and then put it back together with TSI oil. The original frame was bent, and causing very choppy reeling, so it got a new frame and everything seemed great after that. I can cast/retrieve very smoothly just fine. However, I hooked into a decent pike yesterday and found that spool locked up and I could not turn the handle. The reel was very choppy and hard to reel when there was less pressure from the fish, so I was able to get it to shore.

I can't seem to figure it out myself, so I figured i'd ask those that have much more knowledge.

Thoughts?

Thanks!

Swami805

I had something similar happen recently, it was the frame screws had loosened up a little. Worked fine until it had a load on it then did as you described. 
Do what you can with that you have where you are

NBraun

Hmm, I appreciate the idea. Though I just made sure everything was tight and we're still having the same issue.

alantani

alternatively, the bearings or bushings are damaged/worn and they are not keeping the spool centered under a load.  that would allow the spool to rub against the frame.  check/replace the bearings or bushings and see how it is.   :-\
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

NBraun

That's kind of what I was thinking too. Without ever using a good 5000D, I was thinking it may just be something with the Direct drive system. But it definitely feels like it the drive gears getting off center and causing the issue.