The good, bad, and ugly.

Started by gstours, March 29, 2020, 04:32:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gstours

With our shortened season pressing on my mind the obsession was to go trolling again. 
Ken my neighbor friend has more serious medical issues and booked a trip by air to Juneau so the cards were different suddenly.  The weather was good for flying and fishing in the short forecast.
  I have another friend that could go and is a good fisherman so this was my alternative.
As luck would have it a dandy king decided to have lunch.   I couldn't believe my eyes as the rod was pumping and the reel screams,  here's the culprit.

gstours

That's the good........
  The bad......  my favorite kink plug took a beating and now is in questionable condition.

gstours

gstours

Even the hook broke in the net.  Oh boy?
   Now the ugly,  our weather is small craft advisory today and gale warnings for tomorrow.   Butt that's 👌
I got my licks in.  Maybe it's over for me this spring.  I think 🤔 it's bbq time.   Wish you could have been there for the adventure.🎣🚣‍♀️🍀😋

Donnyboat

Nice fish Gary, love that ear to ear smile, looks like you have your moneys worth out of that plug, thanks for showing us, cheers Don.
Don, or donnyboat

Rancanfish

What reel did you use Gary?  We're bored at home, we need lots of info, lol.
I woke today and suddenly nothing happened.

gstours

Thanks for your reply,    the reels i always use are mooching reels by definition.  The larger arbor and replacement knobs combined with direct drive makes it a favorite for my trolling for salmon.
   It seems old fashioned for the days we live in butt so am I.  This one is a highly modified one and is a good aluminum version of several I've worked over.

gstours

These reels are generally are about 4 inch dia spool, butt I prefer a 5-5 1/2 diameter to pickup line faster as salmon will many times change direction after being hooked.  The knobs moved out to the outer part of the spool give you mare power when retrieving and checking your gear ⚙️.
  The direct drive gives you the ultimate power to retrieve your line without ever changing your drag.
To me this the best tool for what I do.  I've got several with the knobs in more closer to the center much like the factory jobs and so it's just a preference thing.   I prefer the aluminum reels to modify but have done some Diawa and shimonos with mostly graphite plastic.   We learn by doing.

gstours

Its always more fun to test your new toys out on a day of fishing. ;)

I,m suspecting many of us will have more time on our hands for a while.  Best of luck and be safe.

gstours

And lastly here is a diawa plastic moocher that was madified.  Its a good reel with minor mods,  very affordable for starting a project reel.
   If you only go around once,  have fun, fish a lot.  Good luck.

reelrepair123

nice gary,    butt, i like the butt and red cooler pictures better,  stay safe my friend.  harryk