This That and the Other Things

Started by Hardy Boy, March 25, 2020, 03:48:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

swill88

Quote from: alantani on March 25, 2020, 09:11:43 PM
when we went to alaska, we had a dozen pulled up on the boat.  they never made it to the dock.  we popped off the heads, ripped off the shells, dipped them in soy sauce and ate them raw.  what a treat!!!!  ;D

In the 90's we ate at a high-end Chinese restaurant in Vancouver and they were served still moving.  Delicious!

Steve

Hardy Boy

We eat the odd one raw also and they are very sweet. You just have to make sure they are not caught in areas with large fecal counts in the water or rinse them well first. I guess we get spoiled up here; if that kind of area/ fishing was anywhere near a major urban area it would be a gong show. Saw two boats fishing that day so ................ it was crowded !! ;D

Cheers:

Todd
Todd

bhale1

Oh boy, so here goes...Gonna ask a dumb, landlocked, Arizona native question....what is a prawn...looks like shrimp to me ???
Either way, looks like a good outing ;D
Brett

Maxed Out

Quote from: bhale1 on March 26, 2020, 03:17:24 AM
Oh boy, so here goes...Gonna ask a dumb, landlocked, Arizona native question....what is a prawn...looks like shrimp to me ???
Either way, looks like a good outing ;D
Brett

We have craw dad's in our lakes and rivers. The term spot prawns is one used by fisheries department. They are actually just large shrimp. I've got some jumbo spot prawns that measured up to 12"
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

oc1

Quote from: Gfish on March 25, 2020, 05:06:08 PM
Subsistance and commercial fishing ok'ed too, does that mean no local shore or kayak fishing?!...
I thought subsistence fishing is what we've been doing.  That's my story and I'm sticking to it.
-steve

Gfish

Ok. On the mainland I remember the term was used for Tribal Nation-land/waters/ persons.
Went for a walk on the south-side yesterday with very few people around-even in the resort area. Was able to lay out 100yds of line on the finely manicured lawn to get rid of the twists on my rigs.
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

gstours

Oh my,  you are lucky 🍀.  And right in your backyard.  Fresh is the best.  Thanks for the pictures.  
   We have had some poor years for our local shrimp 🦐.  We have no Dungeness crab with in daily boating distance as the protected sea otters have scouwered the ocean floor.
 Thanks again for sharing your great fun trip,  I must come up with a plan.  

Hardy Boy

Gary: We have those swimming eating machines as well. There are still crab but they only survive in numbers at 200 feet or so. No more catching them in the shallows as they can only survive below where the otters feed.

Cheers:

Todd
Todd