quick advice needed teflon washer under main gear in 501 OK?

Started by Wilmar, March 25, 2020, 05:56:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wilmar

Hi everyone,

Hope all and loved ones are well.

Well, I got my Cal's drag grease and TSI-321 from Smooothdrag.  Am upgrading drags for the first time.

Have a question: I got a 501 off online auction, it has steel main gear, it came with three stack of carbon fiber drags.  But there was no drag washer under the main gear, between main gear and ratchet plate/sleeve - this would be part "4-60, fiber washer" on jigmaster schematic. 

I don't have spare parts yet to play with other than the old original drags from the following spinning reels:  Daiwa BG 20, 30, 60, and 90 and an old school Penn 704Z (has the black painted spool).  I THINK the teflon drag washer (part 56T-704) from the 704Z fits under the main gear.  Will this work? Should I grease it with Cal's?  What is the function of under the gear washers - to provide drag or just avoid direct metal to metal grinding between main gear and ratchet part of gear sleeve?

Sorry for basic nature of the questions...  Any help is appreciated.

Wilmar

Wilmar

Addendum:  the teflon drag washer from BG 30 fits better.  Will teflon work for under the gear washer?  Do I grease it with Cal's?

mo65

Quote from: Wilmar on March 25, 2020, 05:56:59 PM
There was no drag washer under the main gear, between main gear and ratchet plate/sleeve - this would be part "4-60, fiber washer" on jigmaster schematic. 
  I THINK the teflon drag washer (part 56T-704) from the 704Z fits under the main gear.  Will this work? Should I grease it with Cal's?  What is the function of under the gear washers - to provide drag or just avoid direct metal to metal grinding between main gear and ratchet part of gear sleeve?

The teflon washer would be a poor choice under the gear of a Jiggy...just too "squishy"...you need a more solid material. A carbon fiber will work but wear rapidly, the stock #4-60 will work better, but a Delrin washer will work best. 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

Wilmar

Thanks!!  Great to know about the materials.  I will look onto delrin. 

Tiddlerbasher

Quote from: mo65 on March 25, 2020, 06:14:57 PM
Quote from: Wilmar on March 25, 2020, 05:56:59 PM
There was no drag washer under the main gear, between main gear and ratchet plate/sleeve - this would be part "4-60, fiber washer" on jigmaster schematic. 
  I THINK the teflon drag washer (part 56T-704) from the 704Z fits under the main gear.  Will this work? Should I grease it with Cal's?  What is the function of under the gear washers - to provide drag or just avoid direct metal to metal grinding between main gear and ratchet part of gear sleeve?

The teflon washer would be a poor choice under the gear of a Jiggy...just too "squishy"...you need a more solid material. A carbon fiber will work but wear rapidly, the stock #4-60 will work better, but a Delrin washer will work best. 8)

Totally agree Mo :)
Delrin works better as an under gear washer.

Gfish

I may have a delrin you can use. I could slip it into an envelope and send it off. PM if interested.
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!