Squidder 145 spool

Started by festus, March 20, 2020, 12:44:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Decker

Quote from: xjchad on March 25, 2020, 08:05:01 PM
Quote from: mo65 on March 25, 2020, 08:02:19 PM
   I've never had one of the spools with that hexagon looking click wheel. I'm assuming it has a slower click...like a longer pause between clicks?

That's what I was thinking Mo.  Less line pressure.  Might be nice for still water catfishing  ;D

Yep, true dat.  The spikey ones make more ruckus.

mo65

Quote from: xjchad on March 25, 2020, 08:05:01 PM
Quote from: mo65 on March 25, 2020, 08:02:19 PM
   I've never had one of the spools with that hexagon looking click wheel. I'm assuming it has a slower click...like a longer pause between clicks?

That's what I was thinking Mo.  Less line pressure.  Might be nice for still water catfishing  ;D

Yes...for lake fishing it might be perfect. On the river(Ohio) the current would most likely drag it...if it does move easily. Reels with a lighter click, like my Pro Challenger Jiggy, can sometimes roll down stream without a really heavy sinker. When current is really heavy I like to use my old Silverbeach 99. That thing has the stiffest clicker in the universe. If the fish swims away hard enough to make that thing click...he's hooked!  :D
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

oc1

Quote from: Decker on March 25, 2020, 05:47:41 AM
Quote from: oc1 on March 25, 2020, 05:23:44 AM
I magged mine and ran out of room under the hood.  It is just about there but needs a few more small wafers
-steve

How many you got in there, Steve?  What are you throwing?

Oops, sorry Joe.  Mine is a 146.  

It has eight stacks, each 3/8 inch diameter and 1/4 inch high.

The bottom wafer on each stack has a hole and is counter sunk. Small nuts and bolts attach them to the sideplate.

I'm tuning it to throw 1.5 ounce because that is the sweet spot for the rod.  With more lure weight it may need less magnets.

-steve

Decker

Quote from: oc1 on March 26, 2020, 08:42:15 AM
Quote from: Decker on March 25, 2020, 05:47:41 AM
Quote from: oc1 on March 25, 2020, 05:23:44 AM
I magged mine and ran out of room under the hood.  It is just about there but needs a few more small wafers
-steve

How many you got in there, Steve?  What are you throwing?

Oops, sorry Joe.  Mine is a 146.  

It has eight stacks, each 3/8 inch diameter and 1/4 inch high.

The bottom wafer on each stack has a hole and is counter sunk. Small nuts and bolts attach them to the sideplate.

I'm tuning it to throw 1.5 ounce because that is the sweet spot for the rod.  With more lure weight it may need less magnets.

-steve

That's a lot of magnets.  I've never tried to throw anything that light with a Squidder.  How far are you trying to throw it?

Maybe the startup inertia of the spool is too much.  I don't think there is a plastic spool for the 146, but wonder if a 180 with a plastic spool might do a better job.

Rancanfish

Mr. Decker, Sir,  my older red 146 definitely has a plastic spool.
I woke today and suddenly nothing happened.

jon_elc

steve,  I would guess you could dremel these ribs a bit and add 2 more washers.   

jon_elc

also, I am surprised that your magnets are so close to the edge of the ring, what spool are you using?

because i'm trying to measure the expected clearance, i'm getting about 8mm for inside the plate to the edge of the ring, and then my spool rib/fin is about 3.5mm into that space.  my magnets are 2mm tall, so i'm looking for washers to epoxy inside for the magnets

edit:  mine is a 145

foakes

Quote from: jon_elc on March 26, 2020, 05:16:23 PM
also, I am surprised that your magnets are so close to the edge of the ring, what spool are you using?

Likely the elusive dremelized finless plastizoid -- AKA, steve can make anything with a shard of coconut shell and some bamboo strips.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

mo65

Quote from: foakes on March 26, 2020, 05:26:50 PM
Steve can make anything with a shard of coconut shell and some bamboo strips.

This is true...had Steve been aboard the Minnow instead of the professor...they'd been off that island in 15 minutes! 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

Decker

Quote from: mo65 on March 26, 2020, 05:31:31 PM
Quote from: foakes on March 26, 2020, 05:26:50 PM
Steve can make anything with a shard of coconut shell and some bamboo strips.

This is true...had Steve been aboard the Minnow instead of the professor...they'd been off that island in 15 minutes! 8)

Yup, he even makes his own fishing line, for real.