Going Groceries shopping to the deep blue sea

Started by steelfish, March 25, 2020, 08:53:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

steelfish

well, since chicken and beef is hard to find on the local markets some friends organized a trip to find some meat for the shelter-in-place call and I was invited   ::) ::)  ;D ;D

the idea was to try to find some big yellowtails that were reported to be at the "golden reef" according to few reports, which is a reef that I dont normally fish because 80% of the time is pretty windy there, some say is because of the highlands of the Mountains of the St. Pedro martir that cause the wind to blow stronger there, anyway, that fishing area in that zone have deeps from 200ft to 600ft, so my weapons of choice where my Mak15 Sea for trolling and livebait and Baja Special for deep droop loops, both with new handles from the penn Int 20visxs, IMHO 3x much comfy that the angled T-bar from tiburon-Okuma handle knob on the mak15

we launched pretty early on the morning with really low tide, since its a natural boat ramp, we had to wait a little bit to put the panga on the water

since we found pretty calm sea, we went to the golden reef to try luck, we trolled for some yellows and tried speed jigs and casting irons but no much luck, overall was a slow day for YT, groupers didndt wanted to play the whole day, during the morning some Bonitas (skipjack tuna) kept us entertained for a while, they were bitting on the trolling and on the jings

the only YT for the day was a huge one for my friend, that was similar to the ones found in BOLA, we estimated 30#, my friend is a big guy that dwarfed the YT

so, we moved back to our regular fishing zone in Gonzaga Bay Islands, same deal, thousands of birds but no eating fish, so we called a day, on our way out we found some diving birds so, we stopped to try there with heavy jigs, so I took my heavy bombs setup, Baja Special and phenix axis 820H hopefully the YT were there.

but there were some orage mouth corvinas, really nice on the table but kind of small for a Baja Special with  80lb braid line  ;D ;D,
not a fair battle

so, I switched and took the phenix BD700H and the komodo 364 and started casting a 2oz cocodrile spoon and now that was a lighter and more comfortable setup to cast for curvinas for some minutes.

one of the guys caught a Ribbon fish (well, local name)

beautiful fish indeed, was sent home alive/

during the feeding frenzy we heard a loud "plop" in the water and looked everywhere but we didnt saw anything missing on the panga, so probably was a fish or a duck, so after getting some curvinas on the open bit, we were prepared to move and continue our way out to the ramp when a saw a strange "tube" floating on the surface, called my friend (which is the captain) and moved the panga near to the object to check what it was, daaaang !!

it was the short bamboo gaff that I made to my compadre last year and he loved it, he stoped using all the rest of the Gaffs he owns.

you should have seen my amigo screaming !! LOL my gaff my Gaff, - daang I was about to lost it!  - now we know what made that plop sound on the water few minutes ago, he said!.
we took the Gaff, secured it inside the panga boat (he told me he was going to install a lanyard but he didnt), seems that I will have to take it back from him and do it myself  ;D ;D

so, we finally made it to safe port
not with the fish we went after, but with plenty of fish for each one for some nice dinners.

1 big yellowtail
2 pacific whitefish
few Bonitos tunas and few curvinas

and that was our day on the deep blue sea grocery store, pretty much empty that day, hopefully next time we found YT and grouper on the 3rd aisle of the market.

but that might be in few months, we now will wait at home checking the news and paying attention of the Covid19 before organizing the next trip.

stay safe amigos but keep your reels ready !!

The Baja Guy

Keta

Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Dominick

Way to go Alex.  Some good eating in isolation time... Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

mo65

Looks like fantastic fun Alex...great fishin'! 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

swill88

Thanks for the report Alex!  Can't wait to get back there.
Steve

Benni3

Great trip,,,, :D and that ribbon fish is cool,,,,,,,,, ;D

Crow

There's nothing wrong with a few "F's" on your record....Food, Fun, Flowers, Fishing, Friends, and Fun....to name just a few !

Hardy Boy

Alex glad you made it out also. Nothing wrong with a nice mess of fish to feed families ! The funny thing is you guys have the same amount of clothes on as we did up here the other day, or maybe more ... what you call cold we call hot !! Thank god the missing gaff was noticed !!

Cheers:

Todd
Todd

conchydong

Nice job Alex.  Believe it or not the Ribbon fish are great fried. Not a lot of meat but worth trying. Very popular in Asia. In the Philippines they dry them and fry them for breakfast and it is like eating fish bacon. In Florida they are a great bait for slow trolling for King Mackerel. You just need to rig a multiple stinger hook rig.

steelfish

Quote from: Keta on March 25, 2020, 09:02:55 PM
Rub it it.....NICE!!!!
you're welcome Lee.

Quote from: Benni3 on March 25, 2020, 11:51:28 PM
Great trip,,,, :D and that ribbon fish is cool,,,,,,,,, ;D

pretty cool fish, the fish look like it was made by Mercury, it has a really metal and shiny bright and moved like a snake

Quote from: Crow on March 26, 2020, 12:19:59 AM
Great trip...and great save on that Gaff !!
best move of the day

Quote from: Hardy Boy on March 26, 2020, 12:56:55 AM
Alex glad you made it out also. Nothing wrong with a nice mess of fish to feed families ! The funny thing is you guys have the same amount of clothes on as we did up here the other day, or maybe more ... what you call cold we call hot !! Thank god the missing gaff was noticed !!
Cheers:
Todd
my blue "tactical" fishing shirt is really thin and comfy it has a big hood and facemask included as part of the neck of the shirt, my plan was to use the "Sweater Vest" for the morning and take it out by 11am and use only the fishing shirt like I do on spring and summer but the day was mostly cloudy and chilly;, you're right, our visitors from the north of USA or canada are in tank tops and shorts all day while we still wear light jackets 24hrs, kind of weird by this time if you ask me, normally by springtime we have really high temps here around 90* but the winter chill winds are still around.

Quote from: conchydong on March 26, 2020, 01:05:44 AM
Nice job Alex.  Believe it or not the Ribbon fish are great fried. Not a lot of meat but worth trying. Very popular in Asia. In the Philippines they dry them and fry them for breakfast and it is like eating fish bacon. In Florida they are a great bait for slow trolling for King Mackerel. You just need to rig a multiple stinger hook rig.
naaaaa, really? fish bacon?   :o
it was just too pretty and looked really thin, its awesomeness saved its life.

I might try one next time on a bigger one, bacon fish.... now you got my attention amigo  ;D ;D
The Baja Guy

oc1

Nice story Alex.  You did good.  There are a lot of ribbonfish on the Gulf side.  You can buy them frozen by the dozen for bait.  They come from the shrimp trawlers.
-steve

Cor

Nice days fishing!

Can't catch what Neptune don't want to provide at that time.
Cornelis

Decker

Thanks for sharing, compadre.  Nice to see someone having fun!

xjchad

Nice haul Alex!
I'm so jealous, wish I could get out fishing!  :D
Husband, Father, Fisherman