OKUMA Makaira 130/80 Reels - How to service?

Started by sammythetuna, March 26, 2020, 06:55:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sammythetuna

Let me begin by saying that I am an absolute beginner to Reel Repair and maintenance... I always had our local tackle shop do my service but they are no longer offering reel repair and maintenance.

I was turned onto the Okuma Makaira series of reels by a friend, and after reeding Alan Tani's review, I was sold.

Anyhow, I would really like to learn to service my own reels. I did take a look at Alan's Makaira 50w rebuild thread, however, I am a bit intimidated. I would love to take some baby steps on this first and was hoping someone could give me a tutorial on how to service my reels step by step? They are only a year old but I fish them hard so I want to keep them running smooth. I have 2x 130 Gold, 2x 130 SEA Black, and 2x 80w SEA BLUE (Custom). I am guessing these all are relatively similar.

A poster on another forum suggested that someone might be able to give me a step-by-step on this, and I promise to pay it forward once I get the hang of this....

Thank you very much.

Rivverrat

A helpful reminder to take pics for your self of each step during disassembly. I dont believe a complete service is needed a lot of times on these. But I always look inside any new reel that will be used in the salt.

Unless your just wanting to do a complete tear down you should in most cases be able to reach anything needing lube by breaking the the gear / handle side lose from the frame.

There are fellas here that have been in more of these reels than I ever will. I know they will be glad to help you in any way possible... Jeff

alantani

welcome!!!!  the tear down is virtually the same for all of the reels.  but with a 5 year warranty, it's not likely that you will have problems inside the reel.  the most important thing is to hit the outside with aerosol corrosion x, paying particular attention to the clicker.  corrosion causes the most trouble there.  otherwise, you should be good!!!!
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Bryan Young

I have yet to see these reels in-house especially since they come with a 5 year warrantee.  Most just send them in to Okuma at this time.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Donnyboat

Hi Sammy, just be careful, when your taking it apart, double check, for very thin shims, they are sometimes hidden with grease, if you use air pressure, you might blow them to the never, never, to be seen again, ALAN, although, it has a five year warranty, I think it would be a good idea, to take the shields of the bearings, clean them with carb cleaner, & grease them properly, maybe with Yamaha marine grease, you could add a little corrocion X oil, if you think the grease is to thick, make sure you take plenty of pics as you go, & plenty of grease on the screws, good luck, cheers don.
Don, or donnyboat

sammythetuna

Thanks, everyone.

I am on the east coast (South of Boston in MA)... Even though Okuma has the warranty for me to ship 4x 130s and 2x 80s out to Okuma is very expensive (can't remember if they charge for shipment back to me). I think last time I priced it out it was about $59 and up per reel if you want to insure... In other words, warranty service isn't as "free" for me. Secondly, they are completely closed right now due to Coronavirus until May (I think) and with Tuna season opening June 1 by us, I don't want to send my reels to an empty building and not get them back in time!

Is it safe to say that Alan's Makaira 50 II rebuild is going to give me a pretty accurate guide?
Outside of the Corrosion X is there any areas that should be greased or oiled every year?
On the clicker assembly, is it enough to just clean and corrosion X from outside? Or should it be removed?

I have noticed the handles freeze up a bit if not oiled a couple of times a year.  I have had two clickers go on these, which I am told is a weak spot on them. Thank you Alan and others! I am very excited to become self-sufficient in this area...

Gobi King

This is how I look at a big reel.

1. You have load bearing points - Lube and grease (unless you want them to spin for ever, then use TSI321)
2. You have metal to metal contact points - Grease
3. Internal metal areas that might be exposed to salt - Corro or light coat of grease

Make a video out of your 130s,
I have an 80 and few 50s that I need muster some manhood to crack them open :-)
Shibs - aka The Gobi King
Fichigan

Rivverrat

Quote from: sammythetuna on March 27, 2020, 12:32:25 PM
Thanks, everyone.

Is it safe to say that Alan's Makaira 50 II rebuild is going to give me a pretty accurate guide?

Get your tools & keep your phone or camera close for pics as you go.  Then start a thread & people will help as needed.  If you really want to do this you have come to the right place. The most important point is to take pics as you go so we can clearly see what your dealing with... Jeff