Penn 9500SS - rebuild, handle, drag and 12-tooth ratchet upgrade

Started by redsetta, November 29, 2011, 11:17:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shark Hunter

You are Welcome! ;D
This reel is a Beast! Production of the 9500ss stopped in 2005. That's why the original drag disc is unobtanium. The Upgrade will work fine.
Life is Good!

redsetta

G'day tugboat,
The drag upgrade works great.
The reel in this thread maxes out at just over 22lbs of drag, though it's had a couple of other custom upgrades since it was built in 2011.
I had this on in January and the old workhorse was well able for it (though I still lost him):
Good luck with the YFT.
All the best, Justin
Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer

ktugboat42

Nice fish.
I caught this 55 lb YFT without the upgrades so i know the reel will be able to handle a lot more.
Pete

wallacewt

thats a good photo,thanks
fishing is hard work ;D

Shark Hunter

Life is Good!

ktugboat42

Why yes, yes i am. lol
I work on a drill ship and after watch i go take a few casts.
Unfortunately we still have to wear all our safety gear so thats why it looks like full contact fishing.
Pete

Shark Hunter

There is nothing wrong with that!
Looks like its working out good for you! ;D
Life is Good!

ktugboat42

So i did the drag and ratchet upgrade and im on the fence.  Love the drag but the verdict is still out on the ratchet.  I love the concept but damn, as someone else stated, the reel is LOUD.  However, the anti-reverse "play" is a huge plus.  Maybe i'll get use to it after awhile.
I hooked up to a small 25# black fin but couldnt sink the gaff.  Oh well, thats fishing.
Pete

Three se7ens

Putting grease on the dogs makes it quieter. You can put a good bit on without compromising how they work.

ktugboat42

Well i took the reel apart because something wasnt right.  Not sure what but after i reassembled it, its MUCH quieter and spins more freely.  I can live with it now.  Time to catch some tuna.
Pete

Fisherman Paul

Guys you are a huge credit to not only fishing but
what you do, what you can do and what you have done
to these reels.

I have learned so much, for that, thank you.

anglingarchitect

Penn spinners I can work on a little, the rest ( Shimano,Diawa, etc. are hit or miss for me.

Thanks beautiful tutorial.

Mark

redsetta

Mic

I gotta question. Is there a synchronization rule with the Penn 9500SS ?

I received a 9500 from my father who got it from a friend of his that said he worked on it and made it great! Wrong!!!!!!!! This thing has black grease in it that looks to have been in there for quite some time. I noticed the handle and the bail hit each other every 6th turn. I know, just bend the bail. No, I've learned too much from yawl to know this is not an accident and there is a reason for it. Well, I pulled the cover off and turned the main drive gear about 20 degrees right and it stopped. No more banging. But now it seems line guide only covers the spool about ¾ up and seems to actually seems to drop below the bottom of the spool for at least 2 revolutions.

One thing I did see right off from this tutorial is the reel I have doesn't seem to have all the parts needed to make it right. No nylon disc, missing drag washer on the spool top...I think my next stop will be at Penn.Com and see if I can get a parts break down to see what is and what aint.

Thanks for any info your experiences can give me~!

Mic

redsetta

G'day Mic,
If it helps, here's the schematic and parts list:
Any queries, let us know!
All the best, Justin

"Edited as per Moderators to correct Scott's Bait & Tackles old online store over to their new store name Mystic Reel Parts / www.mysticparts.com"