Penn 9500SS - rebuild, handle, drag and 12-tooth ratchet upgrade

Started by redsetta, November 29, 2011, 11:17:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

broadway

Justin,
    That looks like a winner to me... we have some serious talent on this site! You aussie's don't quit till yas get what ya want  ;)
Nice work,
Dom

wallacewt

thats the highest praise you are ever gunna get  redsetta.being called an aussie :D :D :D

Alto Mare

Justin that looks awesome, I'm hoping that it will work flawlessly. next we can add some ss dogs, these upgrades would definitely bring this reel to the top. Great job mate! ;)
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

redsetta

Quote from: wallacewt on March 12, 2012, 01:01:04 AM
thats the highest praise you are ever gunna get  redsetta.being called an aussie :D :D :D
Too classic Wallace - high praise indeed!
Especially given: "...aussies are all aristocratic descendants,never lie,very serious,handsome etc..."  ;) ;D
Cheers lads, Justin
Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer

Dominick

Quote from: broadway on March 11, 2012, 10:16:48 PM
Justin,
    That looks like a winner to me... we have some serious talent on this site! You aussie's don't quit till yas get what ya want  ;)
Nice work,
Dom
Dom: If you haven't guessed by the posts following yours, Justin is not an Aussie, he's a Kiwi.  Wallace and Justin are Antipodes.   Good guys all.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Irish Jigger

G'day Justin ;) Nice work on the ratchet.  Are you into cutting stainless steel gears, handles and dogs yet?  Just received some original 9500SS gear sets so please let me have your new postal address so as I can get a set out to you. ;D ;D ;D

Clem

redsetta

It ain't no carbon fibre Clem...  ;)
QuoteWallace and Justin are Antipodes.
Yep, 'antipodeans' from the 'antipodes' - it's an old European reference to us being on the opposite side of the world.

Here's a quick look at the 12-tooth gear upgrade.
It's my only regular spinner and is spooled with 80lb PE6.

Here's the standard ratchet, as it fits with the double silent dogs.

And here, as it affixes to the inside of the spool.
This is a better system than keying to the spindle (as per the smaller SS reels) as the spool can handle a greater drag load.

Here's the 12-tooth S/S gear.

The tolerances are about the same as the stock item, but could be tightened up a fraction of a milimetre here and there.
I fitted it to the current silent dog set-up and did some testing, but felt I was selling myself short without the certainty of double sprung dogs.

So, the next step was to customise a spare spring to fit the top dog.
It had to have a 'hook' at the top as, without it, the spring would simply slide down the dog post and away from the dog.

The second dog has also been changed out for the original stock item, with the standard spring replaced.

It's got a lot of potential in this format and, after some basic testing, all appears to be working well with full, permanent engagement from both dogs.
The extra teeth really make the ratchet sing when winding hard.

In terms of lag (ie the time before the dogs catch on the AR ratchet), which was the reason for the design, it's essentially been eliminated and now functions much like an AR bearing, though without the risk of failure.

I'm going to refine the next one a little more by deepening the teeth by 1mm and squaring the cut at the bottom of each tooth (which was as per the original design).

Once that's done, I'll do a run of maybe 20-30 gears and make them available to anyone who's keen.
Cheers, Justin

alantani

stickied!  sorry it took so long.  another miss by the boss.......   :-\
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

redsetta

Had to look that one up - first I've heard of 'stickies'.
Cheers Alan. ;D

wallacewt

Bryan Young

:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

redsetta

Quote from: wallacewt on March 13, 2012, 04:14:55 AM
would the 950ss fit 750ss.
I don't believe so - from memory, the ratchet gear on the 750 keys to the pinion rather than the spool.
If it works out to be affordable, I'll do it next...
Cheers, Justin

Alto Mare

Justin, you're a genius!
Let me know if your contact is willing to make a few as the original, the 6-tooth for the 650-750 and 9500. maybe I can beg Lee to make me some ss dogs to go with it.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Alto Mare

Quote from: wallacewt on March 13, 2012, 04:14:55 AM
would the 950ss fit 750ss.
good stuff justin
Wallace, the 9500 won't fit the 750/7500.
The 650/6500 is keyed to the pinion and it is 24.30 mm wide.
The 750/7500 is keyed to the rotor and is 25.30 mm wide.
The 9500 is also keyed to the rotor and is 26.30 mm wide. ( Don't know about the 950 )...this is the one made in China
All are appro. 2.25 mm thick.