Main Gear issue on a Sustain C5000XG

Started by mudgecko63, March 11, 2020, 12:02:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mudgecko63

I'm servicing a mates reels that went for a swim for half a tide (lucky to get it back) and the issue is trying to get the bearing off the main gear where the handles screws in on the right hand side. It seems if the the handle is screwed in tightly it flares out this area where the bearing sits making it difficult to remove. I don't really want to remove any of this material so I can remove the bearing but this seems to be the only way. To me this will only make the matter worse  as it will be easier to flare out. Any ideas would be appreciated in over coming this. Thanks. 

alantani

not sure about this, but a couple of strokes of a file shouldn't be a problem.......   :-\
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

philaroman

does the bearing slide on the gear & you only need to shave a little flared edge OR is it totally stuck at the base?

it's all bout the gears!!!  I'm sure I've damaged Shimano alloy main's, just by looking at them wrong :(
...plus, your model may take the Express to Unobtanium, shortly after the meager 5-year Product Support
...plus, gears are WAY more expensive   ...plus, you may need the pinion, as well
on the other hand, you're not likely to have issues locating good, affordable Shimano-compatible gear bearings...  EVER!

it's a judgement call, whether to shave the gear, cut the bearing, or leave 'em stuck 'til next service while you locate replacement parts

mudgecko63