older JX 6/3 not shifting

Started by Rocket Dog, March 28, 2020, 06:51:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rocket Dog

I'm try to fined a service/ tutorial for the shiftier and gear set. My old JX will not shift the button just pops up. I assume it's gummed up.
Any assistance is appreciated.

alantani

Check out the two screws holding on the shifter cover.  Back the off by a quarter turn each.  That might do it.
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Rocket Dog

All ready down the full service rabbit hole. Going to lube and oil everything.

josa1

As far as I know, all AVET two speed reels shift the same way. When the shifter button is pushed to select low gear operation, you should see the spring operated shift change lever move slightly as a notch in the lever mates up to the shift pin.  This holds the shift pin in, which in turn keeps the cross shaft pushed down, and mated up to its slot in the low speed gear.  When the lever is moved to select high speed operation, the notch on the lever is removed from mating with the pin and a spring inside the drive shaft, drives the cross shaft out of the low speed gear and back in to its position in the high speed gear.

Look at the 80 tutorial section dealing with gear change parts and assembly.  Although not totally the same  it is very nearly the same.  Especially note the assembly of the lever and spring to the mounting plate.

Good luck!

akfish

You must have the two screws that hold the mechanism aligned perfectly with the holes in the handle. If the handle screw isn't adjusted just right, the button with not hold in the low speed position. I really like the Avet 2 speed mechanism, but it is finicky when you put it back together. BTW: Be certain to grease these screws. If they corrode into the handle you'll have lots of problems and may need a new handle...
Taku Reel Repair
Juneau, Alaska

Rocket Dog

I got roped into a few "Honey Do's" this weekend once my wife found me in the garage fixing my reels again. LOL.

I just found the problem, the tread hole for one of the screws (32) for the shift cover (33) is striped. So it allows for enough movement in the shifter cover that the shifter (34) pops out if the notch.

I'll be emailing avet for a new handle and set of screws.