Shimano Spinner Progression

Started by Recoil Rob, March 29, 2020, 12:16:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rancanfish

I have four StradicFE and (2)FA.  Lie to me Roman and say they were the best models, lol.

Like Mark, I don't have any problems with them at all.  But I always baby my tools.
I woke today and suddenly nothing happened.

boon

Quote from: philaroman on March 30, 2020, 02:21:52 PM
that's good advice: whatever high-end Shimano's AH reviews, he does a thorough discussion of individual features/systems that span many models

Quote from: boon on March 30, 2020, 01:42:16 AM
The entire chain works in a lock-step progression from the top down. Same as their bicycle parts. Each time the flagship Stella steps forward, there's a trickle-down of parts and ways of assembling things. As a result the Stradic FK is quite probably on par with a pre-2008 Stella, and the current Saragosa SW is arguably not far from a post 2008 one.

however right you may be about those particular models, "beneficial trickle-down" is NOT "in a lock-step progression from the top down."  there are plenty examples of inferior systems trickling UP from older/cheaper platforms, as cost-cutting measures...  you have to pore over schematics, reviews, Forums, etc. IN ADVANCE, to take full advantage of the "beneficial trickle-down" -- otherwise, you get TRICKLED ON by the marketing spin-doctors

Sadly very true, rather sad that the basic Shimano one-way assembly has "trickled up" all the way to the Stella. Is it still very effective? Sure. But the Stella has, for the last couple of generations, had a bespoke anti-reverse, so it feels like a step backwards to me.

As you say, poring over the schematics to find those reels that have either inherited parts/design, or even share identical parts with much higher-end reels, can pay dividends.

philaroman

Quote from: Rancanfish on March 30, 2020, 09:05:59 PM
I have four StradicFE and (2)FA.  Lie to me Roman and say they were the best models, lol.

Like Mark, I don't have any problems with them at all.  But I always baby my tools.

just so happens, I'm debating between FB & FE 4000 for a "Dunkin' Stradic"
(one bearing on the pinion & brass bushings everywhere else)

maybe not the best, but I can't point to anything & say,
"Hey, that's blatantly cheaper/worse than previous Stradic models!!!"

Rancanfish

Thanks.  Upon reading my response I realized how lazy I am.  I have the schematics for all of them.
I woke today and suddenly nothing happened.

Recoil Rob

Absolutely what I am looking for, thank you!

Quote from: philaroman on March 30, 2020, 07:01:02 PM
Rob,

I think I know what info would be useful to you from "my older era":

StradicFH/FI(CuradoG) are Shimano's BAD YEARS: instead of raising prices, they downgraded bread-n-butter models

crappy handles are easy to swap, but a rollback to an older, cheaper, inferior bail return mechanism is significant

if you close the bail by cranking the handle -- STAY AWAY!!!  go w/ older Japanese, or later Malaysian starting w/ FJ

if you close the bail manually, for better braid line-lay -- it doesn't matter as much...  might actually be an opportunity for bargains

personally, I would avoid FI gearbox, or any "Malaysian first" (in this case, 1st spinner w/ worm oscillation)

FH, on the other hand, is VERY interesting: last & arguably best Japan-made body/gearbox + good spools/drag

atrocious handle is easily upgraded from MANY later models & there's an endless source of identical downgraded rotors

w/ fully compatible spools/knobs from less-desirable, cheaper Stradic FI; concurrent Symetre(FJ?); concurrent Sahara(FD?);

and other later cheap models (w/ ST-2500FH, all later 3000-size stuff ALSO fits -- higher capacity / smaller drag)

the trick is to find replacement FH main gears (or baby the one you have)
My problem lies in reconciling my gross habits with my net income.
   - Errol Flynn