HELP!! What have I done?

Started by YellowLabs, March 30, 2020, 03:07:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

YellowLabs

Well, i've Cleaned and lubed my Ambassadeurs, so thought i'd do my two Cardinals, a 752 & a 753.  Got a couple of problems from this , but i'll start with this one.  I sprayed brake cleaner into the spool release cavity and now the release push button is frozen.  One of the spools is on the reel and I can't get it off, the other one is not on the reel and i'm afraid to put it on since I can't depress the release button.

Anyone have any guesses as to what I might have done??  I appreciate any help.

Gfish

Brake parts cleaner can be some pretty harsh stuff. Is the spool plastic? Could it have deformed something inside?
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

foakes

Hi Mike --

Brake cleaner melts plastic & graphite.

So your reels should be OK -- if they did not get sprayed.

But likely your spools are toast -- not much way around it from your description.

I have spools for the 752 & 753 if needed -- no worries.

Welcome aboard!

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Midway Tommy

Re the one where the spool is stuck on remove the main shaft & spool. If you don't know how review the tutorials. Slip a tube with an ID a little larger than the cross pin, or drill a hole in a block of wood & use that, and while depressing the button on the spool drive the spool off the shaft with a hammer. Don't worry about damaging the spool, it, and the other one, are toast at this point. If you can't drive it off the shaft you may have to use a fine tooth saw, like a hacksaw, and split the spool length way along the shaft. You'll need a metal blade because there is a spring and flat washer below the button. Be careful not to cut into the main shaft. Once you cut most of the way in you should be able to split the rest of it with a screwdriver. You could also try to pry the retaining ring off the top of the spool but it may be fused to the spool now.   
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

mo65

The way I'm reading this...only the spool on the reel has been doused in brake parts cleaner. It prolly just swelled and got stuck. Once you get it free I bet the other spool will work just fine. 
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

YellowLabs

Everyone, thanks for the insight.  Although it's not what I wanted to hear, it confirms my fears.

Fred, looks like I need to take you up on the spools!

But, before we talk about that, here's my other problem.  I sprayed a bunch of brake cleaner into the interior of the 752 to clean out old grease, didn't take anything apart, just tried to blast out the gunk!
Now when I put the side plate on tightly, the reel is very hard to turn, loosely, it is easier.  Have I wrapped something in the interior of the reel?

Midway Tommy

You are probably fine with the innards, there aren't any plastic parts inside. If it worked OK before it will it will be fine again, either something is misaligned or gunked up. First thing to do is get rid of the brake cleaner, it's for cleaning brakes, not fishing reels. The next thing would be to tear the reel completely down, clean each and every part, including burnishing them, and put it back together. All the information you need is provided and shown in this tutorial. You'll be fine once you purchase a couple of spools from Fred. He's very considerate & reasonable.
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

foakes

Anything plastic or graphite that came into contact with the brake cleaner for more than 5 minutes -- could be distorted or melted slightly.

This will cause warped tolerance issues.

There is a good chance that is the issue...

But if not -- a good cleaning of every part -- reassemble -- and proper lube might solve it -- won't know until you try.

Something is likely just not meshing together properly.

You can purchase new parts such as sideplate, frame housing, rotor, spool, and still not have a well functioning reel since other plastic parts could be messed up -- depending on what got hit with the brake cleaner.

My suggestion if the cleaning does not correct the issue when it is cleaned properly & buttoned up -- remove any good parts like the bail, crank, screws, etc. -- then replace the reels with a couple of used reels -- and toss these (2) reels into the trashcan -- and don't look back.

Brake cleaner is a very effective cleaner for gears, bearings, and other metals -- never plastics or graphites.

I never use brake cleaner because while it is very effective, It is also unforgiving of application mistakes.

The strongest stuff I use is straight lacquer thinner -- but here again -- only on metals.  Everything else gets
Simple Green or Dawn HD dish soap.

Glad to help more -- and photos would also be helpful so everyone else can offer insights and ideas.

Hopefully, you can save these reels.  They are both excellent, capable, and valuable Microlight reels.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

YellowLabs

Thankfully I did not spray any into the interior of the 753, was just bail and spool area so a new spool should fix this one.  The 752 will be a challenge.
Thanks again everyone, l'll see what I can do about some photos when I start working on the 752.

Gfish

Brake cleaner or Carb. cleaner works well on ISOLATED ball bearings. With metal (rather than rubber) bearing shields(the colored shields are rubber, or plastic, or something). You can use it as a dip-soak with the shields on(metal shields ONLY!)or remove the shields(especially if they ain't metal!). Or, with the shields off, hold it with forceps and spray. Best to air blow it off, then soak in penetrating oil to remove any harsh residue, then soak in, or add in, regular oil.
I use grease insteda oil for spinning reel bearings and oil for baitcasting/conventional spool bearings. The non-metal shields are easy to reinstall, but I actually leave all shields off the b.bearings on all my reels, to hopefully let out the water(especially saltwater).
Just me, but I would only use those products this way, and only on reel b.bearings. And if I get that stuff on my skin, I wash it off quick.
I don't like think about it too much, but I'm sure I(maybe "we"?) have made worse mistakes than this...
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

YellowLabs

Thanks for the input everyone.  I'm afraid the little 752 is terminal, but I don't think I did any irreparable harm to the 753, other than the spool.
Fred, can you let me know what I did to do to get a spool from you.

foakes

Just send me your address and full mailing info --

I will pop a complete 752 spool in the mail when the PO opens on Monday.

N/C.

Best, Fred

--------

Fred O.

YellowLabs

Update on my adventures trying to clean my 752 & 753.

The 752 is a complete loss as far as it being a usable reel.  But, the metal internal parts, drag, side plates and crank are still good.  I have no reason to keep these miscellaneous parts, so if anyone would like to have them, please let me know and I'll drop the entire reel, good & bad, in the mail to you.

The 753 will live!  Fred has been kind enough to fix me up with a new spool, so it will be back fishing soon!

Thanks to to everyone for your help.

YellowLabs

Hello everyone,

Thanks to the generosity of foakes, my ABU-Garcia 753 is back in business.  I have a new spool of 6# sten ready to load up and a fishing excursion planned for the middle of next week.

Here's some pics of the resurrected reel: